Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump left on too long
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jesse
sad.gif
while working on the headlights "we" left the key in the on position. With the Sterio blasting i didnt notice the fuel pump. What i did notice was a puddle of fuel under the car.

I think the fuel got in the oil so first ill change the oil and filter.

anything else i need to do before i try to start it?
VaccaRabite
You need to figure out why it leaked in the first place.

Whether you have FI or Carbs you should not have had a puddle of gas form. That could be disaster.

Zach
Hey Jesse,

As Zach said it should not leak either FI or carbs....If its leaking enough to puddle it should be easy enough to find?

With fire exstiguisher in hand turn the key back on and investigate above the leak. Do not try and start!! Really need to get this fixed before driving. Fire waiting to happen. I had a leak on one of my carbs. It was a plug that had worked its way out. JB'ed them all in after that...

Good Luck...Ken
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Jesse @ Oct 4 2010, 06:27 PM) *

sad.gif
while working on the headlights "we" left the key in the on position. With the Sterio blasting i didnt notice the fuel pump. What i did notice was a puddle of fuel under the car.

Fuel under the car AND in the oil? sounds like 2 problems,
Elliot Cannon
My fuel pump is hooked to a switch on the center console. Whenever I'm doing something that requires the ignition on for awhile I turn the pump off.
Cheers, Elliot
underthetire
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Oct 4 2010, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Jesse @ Oct 4 2010, 06:27 PM) *

sad.gif

Fuel under the car AND in the oil? sounds like 2 problems,

agree.gif
nathansnathan
Could be needle inlet valves if you've got carbs. Happened to me on my bus. Mine was jacked up in front driver side to change a soft brake line though, -broke the end of the hardline off and had to wait 'til the next day to get another. Next morning my whole muffler was filled with gas, a huge puddle dripping out the tailpipe. Once it's in the combustion chamber, it gets by the rings and into your oil in the sump. I recall seeing some smoke out the tailpipe on startup a bit just before that happened. -scary stuff unsure.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Jesse @ Oct 4 2010, 03:27 PM) *

sad.gif

I assume you have carbs? If you have FI the pump should not be running if the engine is not spinning. If it is, someone has messed with your wiring or jumpered over the fuel pump relay. Either way you should fix it as it could be a real danger in an accident.

:edit:
really it should not be wired like that with carbs either but people seem to still do it more often then not.
jim_hoyland
agree.gif A gasoline fire could be bad... sad.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Jesse @ Oct 4 2010, 03:27 PM) *

sad.gif

Another thought, you might not even have a fuel leak, the puddle could have just been from the fuel pump pushing enough fuel into the crankcase by whatever means to the point where it started to leak out.

Reminds me...
I once had a similar and really strange issue with a jeep i used to own. During the winter I had left it running in the parking lot of my work to warm up while i went back inside. I had something come up so my jeep got left running for about 40 minutes, or at least i thought it was running. I came back outside to find it had for some reason stalled. Here is where it gets strange, for some reason the fuel pump did not stop running after the engine stopped even though it was supposed to, and presumably one of the injector banks was stuck on because it had managed to get fuel everywhere. It was all over the parking lot and you could smell it from 50 yards away however after towing it home and getting everything cleaned up i was unable to find a leak anywhere in the system. I think what has happened is that it just got enough gas in the crankcase to start leaking out of somewhere.

After draining all the oil and at least a gallon of gas out of the crankcase it started up with no issues and i was never able to find any gas leak or reproduce the conditions that caused the fuel pump to keep running after the engine had stalled.

Very strange

Also very dangerous, find your problem.
JamesM
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 5 2010, 10:36 AM) *

agree.gif A gasoline fire could be bad... sad.gif

File this under "reasons to keep a big halon bottle in your 914 at all times".
nathansnathan
This is the ticket right here -

http://www.rossonracing.com/store/index.ph...;products_id=88

Oil pressure controlled fuel pump cutoff switch.

My Carter rotory pump instructions show this sort of thing in line with the power to the pump; if there is less than 7psi oil pressure, the pump shuts off.

If your needle valves aren't holding with that in there, though, you'r car probably wouldn't even start.
Jesse
crankcase is full of gas & oil there is no leak that i can find i think the carb filled up and overflowed. there was nly about a cup of fuel/oil mix on the ground when i noticed it. The oil pressure switch sounds like a great idea.
VaccaRabite
How much fuel pressure are you running? You are either running too much pressure or your floats need adjusting. Your pump should never be able to overpower your induction.
championgt1
I hate that picture Jim! sad.gif
I had the "fuel in the oil" trouble at one point with my 1.8 running L-Jet that came in my car. Culprit for me then was I had a Relay in the FP spot on relay board. It made the FP run all the time and was pushing gas into the case.

Good Luck...
ME733
.........IF YOU FLOOD your engine with gas it is imperative that you not use the starter at all until.........YOU rotate the engine by hand, slowly (feeling for resistance)... and give the cylinders some time to dry out..air out...WHY?....you can have a hydrolic "lock",in one or more clyinders, which can shatter a cast piston,bend connecting rods, and other terrible stuff. YOU can use a shop vaccum cleaner, set up to "BLOW" down the carburator to air out/evoporate any accumulated gas, fumes,in the exhaust system and muffler.NEVER OBVIOUSLY use the shop vaccum in the vaccum mode. gas fumes can be ignited by the electric motor.........Throughly draining the crankcase oil and replacing the oil filter is necessary.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Oct 5 2010, 01:02 PM) *

This is the ticket right here -

http://www.rossonracing.com/store/index.ph...;products_id=88

Oil pressure controlled fuel pump cutoff switch.

My Carter rotory pump instructions show this sort of thing in line with the power to the pump; if there is less than 7psi oil pressure, the pump shuts off.

If your needle valves aren't holding with that in there, though, you'r car probably wouldn't even start.

Is the cut-off switch threaded at one end ? How does it install ?
Cupomeat
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Oct 5 2010, 11:20 PM) *

I had the "fuel in the oil" trouble at one point with my 1.8 running L-Jet that came in my car. Culprit for me then was I had a Relay in the FP spot on relay board. It made the FP run all the time and was pushing gas into the case.

Good Luck...

\
When you all say "pushing gas into the case" do you really mean, "pushing gas into the cylinder"?

Sure there will be leakage past the rings but it seems confusing.

The only time I've seen a Porsche actually push gas into the crankcase was on a MFI early 911 in which the fuel pump uses case oil to lubricate it and with enough wear the gas mixes with the oil, and then goes back in the case.

... or is there something I am not understanding? headbang.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Oct 6 2010, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Oct 5 2010, 11:20 PM) *

Good Luck...

\
When you all say "pushing gas into the case" do you really mean, "pushing gas into the cylinder"?

Sure there will be leakage past the rings but it seems confusing.

The only time I've seen a Porsche actually push gas into the crankcase was on a MFI early 911 in which the fuel pump uses case oil to lubricate it and with enough wear the gas mixes with the oil, and then goes back in the case.

... or is there something I am not understanding? headbang.gif

I am guessing that the rings were shot from running way rich all the time (which washed off the oil lubrication, and hastens ring ware), and were allowing gas to seep past them into the case.

This problem would also require faulty injectors that leaked under pressure.

More then one problem would be required to lead to this, I would think
Just a guess though.
Yes, I believe my gas was getting to the crankcase from going by the cylinder rings. I actually had new injectors and just about everything else new on the LJet from about a solid month of trying to chase down this rich running problem I had at that time.

Good Luck Jesse..Hopin this doesn't end up derailing any MUSR plans..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.