Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F*@! F*@! F*@! F*@! F*@! EPH'n windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
So I fork out $400.00 (+ some) for a new Sigla windshield from the dealer. 4 weeks ago, IAmChappy and I installed it. We first dry fit it to the frame and the fit was perfect. I used 3M butyl tape and it laid in great with good gaps all around. I took a 4 week break from garage stuff and thought I would do a couple of simple light things today. Well I found this on the lower passenger side, a crack about 3 inches long. The car had not been moved or touched any since it was put in. What would cause this? Maybe a chip in the edge of the glass that caused a stress point? I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if there is anything they will do. I may be SOL evilgrin.gif

Click to view attachment

VaccaRabite
You probably put a really small crack in the glass when you installed it. Glass cracks grow for the littlest reasons. If you don't catch them within a day or two, you can write off the windshield.

sad.gif

Zach
Krieger
That sucks. Your probably SOL. mad.gif
736conver
SOL

The first one I went to install caught a gust off wind. DOH!!

The second one cracked in the upper corner. DOH!!!!

The third one was installed by some one else for $80. Money well spent.
bandjoey
Safelite auto glass advertises they will repair a crack with a lifetime guarantee. Never used them but I hear their ads all the time. U might give them a call. sad.gif
turnaround89
I had the same thing happen to me in the opposite corner of the windshield, however my cars chassis was really rusty and when we jacked the car up the chassis twisted and the windshield cracked. hope all goes well on the next install!
rick 918-S
It looks like it's coming from the end of the trim. It could have been chipped when clipping the trim on. It doesn't take much. Sux though.

I had a car in the shop once. I had a glass company right next door to my shop. I always sub-contracted out my glass work to them. They would just walk over and getter dun.
I needed a windsheild installed in a late 80's Ford Tempo but the glass shops guy was out for the day. My manager talked me into letting my guys install the windsheild so we could get the car delivered. The first windsheild cracked while installing the trim, second one...same thing, third time is the charm right? NOT! CRACK! four windsheilds later on my dime we delivered the car. If the glass shop would have done it, they would have ate it all three extra times. We never did another windsheild in my shop again.
iamchappy
Paul is it possible the trim piece cracked it when it snapped into the clip.
It all went down so smooth when we laid it hard to believe there was any pressure points on it and the butyl even gives a little.
iamchappy
Looks like Rick and i were thinking the same.........
Joe Owensby
I had a situation similar to yours. I installed the glass with the butyl tape, etc. Everything was great. When I installed the trim, it must have nicked the glass, because there goes a crack. This particular windshield was one that I had removed from another car, so it may have had a nick on the edge or something that allowed a crack to propagate. I had to buy a new windshield, which I had installed by a pro. This was the only thing that I paid for in rebuilding my car. JoeO
biosurfer1
I feel ya...had a crack in my trucks windshield for a couples (didn't bother me) but I finally got it fixed. Less than a week in and some 18 wheeler kicked up a rock and it was money down the drain.

Unfortunately, I don't think Safe-lite can fix that. When I called, they said the crack had to be 1.5" or less and couldn't be near the edge.

GL
Drums66
...try the dealer trip idea.gif
It will keep running(sorry) sad.gif
bye1.gif
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Oct 9 2010, 12:32 PM) *

...try the dealer trip idea.gif
It will keep running(sorry) sad.gif
bye1.gif

Glass wize, I'm on my own hissyfit.gif The crack made almost a 180 deg. turn and is heading back to the edge of the windshield so at least it wont run up through the middle. I've done some research and there are some repair adheasives that are super thin and made for cracks like these. It won't be perfect but a least it will be hidden a little.

This still sucks mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.