Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ready for surgery...........almost!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I was playing around with the 914 this weekend. I removed the stock front suspension and the rear hubs/bearings. Getting ready for my Carerra front end and 5 lug rear. I clamped my steel GT flares on just for kicks. I plan on scribing a line and cutting out the stock material and butt welding the flares on. I wish I had the time and patience to work the stock material into a nice subtle flare like John Kellys, but steel GT will have to do. I got big sneakers to fit under there!

Here's a pretend shot..........
East coaster
Rear..........
East coaster
Front.............
Eric Taylor
Looks like AA did something right finally! Those look really good. How long did it take to get them? smile.gif
Eric
East coaster
Got them via ebay and they took two weeks to arrive...........not bad for AA!! Even gave them good feedback. I half wanted to slam them for past experiences, but I'm too honest!

The flares look pretty good, not perfect but pretty good. The front opening is about a 1/2" larger than stock, I'm wondering if that's the same on factory flares?? I would guess I bias them to the rear to avoid any problems fitting a front valence. It seems like the GT rockers need a lot of re-fitting anyway from what I hear and I'd rather alter them than dick around with the front valence/air dam.
hars914
Jd, They look great.
I may have to think about flares next fall.
East coaster
Don't do it Harry! Your car is too nice as it is!
ss6
Do you have your flared rockers yet? I've been told by a few to mount the rockers /valance first and use them to position the flares.

BTW, if you don't already have them, Eastwood sells some nifty butt-welding clamps to keep things aligned while you're welding (see pic). One of the guys at a local restoration shop up here said to start at the center of the seam and progress outward alternating sides hammering the welds as you go to offset the shrinkage.

Please keep us informed as you progress, and what techniques you use. I have a set waiting for attention, but the to-do list is on hold for another month or so.
415PB
Yes, please keep us posted with the procedure and pics would be great. I will be getting a set hopefully soon from PP and would really like to do them myself.
RON S.
Nice flares,
Their on my list also.Then again,what isn't right!
As for the panel clamps from Eastwood.
They sell them last time I looked,$40.00 for 4pcs.or $10.00ea.
Go and get'em from Harbor Freight.
They were $8.00 per bag of I think 8pcs.I bought 3 bags worth.
Ron
rick 918-S
I wish my flares were steel sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.