Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have a feeling my 914 transmission will die soon! Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
recko911
I call upon my comrades here at 914 world...... Recently I have been hearing a strange rattling noise when I accelerate out of 1st thru 3rd gears. It has been getting worse. It only occurs when I accelerate and sounds like something is loose in there. I am pretty certain it's coming from my tranny. Has any body had an issue like this and how can I troubleshoot it. confused24.gif
recko911
Do you guys think I need a new tranny or rebuilt anybody know of any in Los angeles
silver74insocal
i would look at your shift rod bushings,and your motor mounts before worrying about replacing your tranny. also, how old is the oil in it? im hoping not factory installed smile.gif flush it and look for sparkles in it. if it nots grinding and popping out of gear, or spewing out oil...your probably ok but im no expert beerchug.gif Dave
recko911
[quote name='silver74insocal' date='Oct 4 2010, 09:25 PM' post='1379422']
i would look at your shift rod bushings,and your motor mounts before worrying about replacing your tranny. also, how old is the oil in it? im hoping not factory installed smile.gif flush it and look for sparkles in it. if it nots grinding and popping out of gear, or spewing out oil...your probably ok but im no expert beerchug.gif Dave
[/quot

Ok good advice. How much oil does a tranny take
silver74insocal
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_specs.htm

that oughtta keep you busy for awhile...good luck neighbor beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
rattling does not sound like the typical failure mode of a functional gear box. Typically, when it rattles, it seizes and you are done. Are you sure it is not the exhaust? The box takes about 3 liters, IIRC. You would think I would have that memorized, but I just rebuild them, I dont refill them wink.gif If it is not popping out of gear, grinding, or hard to find gears, it is likely not the box.....this is provided you have oil in it. If no oil, then all bets are off.
bandjoey
Cv joint and/or bolts?
Richard Casto
Yeah, I think someone else on the forum a few weeks back was hearing odd noises and was convinced it was his transmission and if I remember correctly after a bunch of debugging it turned out to be exhaust related. Was the tail pipe hitting his valance? I can't remember. Anyhow, don't drive it if you really feel it is something mechanical. Check the stuff Dr. Evil mentions such as oil in the transmission, etc.

Edit...

Found the thread. It was exhaust related...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108760

If it turns out to be transmission related, let me know and I can help you out.
Rotary'14
I'll listen to it if you are in the neighborhood. I'm around downtown. PM me if you want my opinion and address.

-Robert
ChrisFoley
Engine knock sounds like a rattle.
Try some higher octane fuel to see if the sound goes away.
Als914
In these cars rattles can come from a multitude of places. I had a simular occuance that sounded like my tranny/engine was ready to blow something out its casing. I found that my bottom alternator nut loosened to a point of almost falling off the cairrage bolt.....point is don't look for the obvious.

Good luck.
recko911
Thanks guys I will follow up with some of you.
recko911
Still having issues no time to check it out yet... This is what happens stuff piles on
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.