Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Man. Days like this make me love my 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
Simplicity of my 914 how I love thee.

Carry on lol.

I'm going to have a beer or two or three or four or more after this is all done.

I cannot believe how insanely simple my 914 and aircooled 911s are in comparison. Makes me look FORWARD to working on it and dread the 944. beerchug.gif
iamchappy
Yep i know the feeling, what a pain to get to the bellhousing, you feel like you've had
to remove 3/4 of the parts from the car to do it.
corsepervita
Yep that's pretty much how it feels! LOL I'm removing the flywheel now. Taking a quick coffee break.
carr914
That's why so many 944s are off the road for good. A clutch at a shop costs more than the car is worth

T.C.

BTW @ Petit LeMans a Porsche Engineer gave a Lecture on the Cayenne Hybrid - that thing has an Intelligent Pressure Plate for switching from Electric to gas to Electric, an AC to DC converter, a DC to DC converter and a DC to AC converter. And the Battery just for the Electrical System weighs 176 lbs wacko.gif . Who the hell is going to be able to service that thing?
corsepervita
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 5 2010, 04:08 PM) *

That's why so many 944s are off the road for good. A clutch at a shop costs more than the car is worth

T.C.

BTW @ Petit LeMans a Porsche Engineer gave a Lecture on the Cayenne Hybrid - that thing has an Intelligent Pressure Plate for switching from Electric to gas to Electric, an AC to DC converter, a DC to DC converter and a DC to AC converter. And the Battery just for the Electrical System weighs 176 lbs wacko.gif . Who the hell is going to be able to service that thing?

It's a good thing that I am able to do my own for the cost of parts, tacos and beer!

Well the rattling bbs in a can sound is finally diagnosed.

Helps when they aren't eating themselves to bits!
IPB Image

And the infamous rubber centered disc cracks and vibration.
IPB Image

And of course a glazed clutch.
IPB Image

But have no fear, brand new parts are here!
IPB Image
jasons
BTDT and I'll never do it again. Not a chance in hell I would ever buy another one of those cars after doing the clutch in one. I'll die happy if I never see one of those rubber center clutches again.

The sad part is they really got the body right on those cars. They don't rust, its the stupid clutch that sends them to the junk yard.

JamesM
Anyone want to buy an 86 turbo?

The good:Clutch was done less then 30k ago.

The Bad:Turbo is getting tired.

Love the thing to death but never drive it for fear something expensive and difficult to replace might break. Im still impressed at how they fit that engine in there.

Thats why i love my 914's. I can beat the hell out of them without worry because i know i could dismantle the entire car in a matter of hours.
carr914
QUOTE(jasons @ Oct 6 2010, 01:05 AM) *

The sad part is they really got the body right on those cars. They don't rust, its the stupid clutch that sends them to the junk yard.

agree.gif

I loved my 944 except the clutch replacement. I still really like the body style

Click to view attachment
corsepervita
QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 5 2010, 10:59 PM) *

Anyone want to buy an 86 turbo?

The good:Clutch was done less then 30k ago.

The Bad:Turbo is getting tired.

Love the thing to death but never drive it for fear something expensive and difficult to replace might break. Im still impressed at how they fit that engine in there.

Thats why i love my 914's. I can beat the hell out of them without worry because i know i could dismantle the entire car in a matter of hours.

i would LOVE to have a turbo. unfortunately, i have nowhere to put it sad.gif

agreed on the clutch sending them to the yard, it is really so sad that people scrap these cars when it's maintenance time. I chose to do mine. I love my car far too much and have put a LOT of work into it. chowtime.gif
nsyr
The clutch is a pita. But what really sucks is when the timing belt fails. Mine failed when i was trying to start the car so i didn't think it did any damage. the result was 5 bent valves. i replaced the cylinder head with a good used one and then sold it.
jasons
QUOTE(nsyr @ Oct 6 2010, 08:54 AM) *

The clutch is a pita. But what really sucks is when the timing belt fails. Mine failed when i was trying to start the car so i didn't think it did any damage. the result was 5 bent valves. i replaced the cylinder head with a good used one and then sold it.

I suffered through that too. Exactly the same thing, when I started the car. I think the belt only had around 35k on it and it stripped the belt teeth. Mine was an S2 so I lost 8 exhaust valves. Like I said above, I will never own another one of those cars. In fact, I doubt I would ever buy any water cooled Porsche it left such an impression.

Otherwise, I did enjoy driving the car.
iamchappy
Everyone does the Chevy or LS1 conversion in these $, I wonder if the Suby or a GM V6 like in the Grand Nationals would be a better conversion with less hassle.
I have been considering a 924 GT look on my 924S a nice reliable engine replacement with some HP behind it without breaking the bank.
corsepervita
yeah the timing belts are a ridiculous interval, something like every 30-40,000 miles or every 3 years.
Andyrew
I still think they are worth the hassle..

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.