Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After market a/c installation 101
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John2kx
During the past week I installed a/c in my '73 SBC conversion. This is one area I could not find much info available while putting my car together. Thought I'd share with the group.

I'm no a/c expert but felt experienced enough to mount all the major components and then take to a pro for hose installation and charging. Today was my first experience with it on the road.

With the humidity in my area, a/c is almost a must if you want to drive on the streets more than just 4-5 months out of the year. Having a black on black car only makes it worse during the summer months where I live.

Back ground: my car has been on the road about 20 months now. I wanted to make sure all gremlins were worked out before installing a/c. The conversion is Rengade and a/c system was ordered from them as well.

A/C compressor is mounted to a billet plate and driven by single serpentine belt that also drives alternator and water pump. The underdash evaporator is much smaller than what was originally installed. It only has two vents, a 3 speed fan, and reostat control.

Condensor was ready for mounting as delivered by RH. All wiring (relay, +/- leads, ground etc) were installed and ready for landing. Dryer came installed with high/low cut off switch. Mounting of major components was straight forward and just about idiot proof. My a/c guy had no problem routing hoses or getting system to work.

First impressions were good. It was 85F this afternoon and the first test drive proved satisfying. With only two vents on evaporator, I was hesitant to believe there would really be enough cool air to make cab comfortable. Just a few miles down the road, I was lowering fan speed and reducing cool air by reostat. Crusing in hot weather with the windows up (like everyone else) has really changed the driving experience. Kind of feels like I have a car 20 years younger in age.

Thought I'd post a few pics for anyone else wanting to perform this operation.

John
John2kx
ad
John2kx
asd
John2kx
adfs
John2kx
adfsd
John2kx
fsfgdfg
John2kx
ertqert
John2kx
daasfgasg
John2kx
zxzxczv
John2kx
zzbzxvb
John2kx
fheyh
John2kx
ergege
John2kx
bnmcmg
John2kx
dfhjdyj
Aaron Cox
your runnin uncoverd/un protected radiator lines under the car? ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
As usual a super clean install John clap56.gif clap56.gif

Now for my opinion:

The underdash piece looks like a something from the 60's. I'm having a hard time beleiving that Vintage air doesnt have something that fits in behind the dash and can be made to run through the factory dash vents. EVERYTHING else in the kits looks AWESOME.. but the dash piece looks like shit (my opinon.. you know I will share it).

Acox..

We have been running water lines under our cars for over 15 years now... not single incident that I have seen or heard about. IF you manage to drag them on something... you have a hell of lot more to worry about at that point than just the 100$ water lines laugh.gif

B
John2kx
Brad,

I agree with you on the underdash unit..........it is butt ugly and may be replaced one day. This is about the cheapest part of the system at $200.

There are evaporators that will fit where the glovebox is mounted but requires a "box" be fabricated/welded to slide unit in. Saw a couple of these while at RH but decided to take the easier approach. Tapping into the existing vents is required and looked like more work than I was willing to do for now. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of this type of install.

John
Brad Roberts
200$ is cheap for what you are getting. I'm sure something will be found later on that fits a little nicer or fits in a better location. Once you remove all the blower/vent crap from under the cowl you have a TON of room to do whatever you want. A drain for the "grate" is needed but easily fabbed.

In Texas we setup several 2.0 914's with AC and they all worked well. They just sucked the life out of the little 2.0 unless you where running down the freeway.

I see RH fixed the oil drainback issue on the AC compressors.

B
BIGKAT_83
Looks real nice John!

Bob
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 18 2004, 11:49 PM)
200$ is cheap for what you are getting. I'm sure something will be found later on that fits a little nicer or fits in a better location. Once you remove all the blower/vent crap from under the cowl you have a TON of room to do whatever you want. A drain for the "grate" is needed but easily fabbed.

B

Brad I when to a large Vintage air dealer last winter with my 914 and tried to fit some of the evaporators in the blower/vent area. The 4 or 5 he had were all too big without some mods to the gas tank.

Bob
Brad Roberts
I dont understand why people dont cut into the area behind the dash to make something fit.

The steel is easy to cut.

B
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Bradholio Roberts @ Apr 19 2004, 11:58 AM)
I dont understand why people dont cut into the area behind the dash to make something fit.

The steel is easy to cut.

B

Damn did even think of doing it that way. You would need to cut the firewall for a cabin air return to the trunk mounted evaporater anyhow. May go back and rethink this.

Thanks Bob
Caveman
I think I've seen your radiator pic and you have 2 puller fans (don't all those renegades smile.gif ), right? Why did you put in the pusher, those things are like half as efficient I thought. Unless its set at a lower temp and only when the AC is on or something. 2 big fans should be more than enough.
John2kx
Here are a couple of pics taken at Renegade. This car was having a "in dash" a/c installed. Box in pic is the one I mentioned having to fab for this type of install.

John
John2kx
asdfa
John2kx
Sorry for the picture quality but the last two were digital pics of 35mm photos. I can't provide many details of the "in dash" style install other than what you see in the photos. Took those while at Renegade while I was closing the deal on my conversion parts. I looked at both type of installations while at RH and opted for the one that required no welding.

The underdash unit is also supplied with heater core and should be easy to plumb..........just have not got that far yet.

I just got back in from my second day of a/c testing. Ambient temp. is 87F. Water temperatures were 170F cruising down highway at 70 mph and 200F sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. This has been a area of concern while adding another heat producer to engine but so far so good. I'll see what happens when it gets in the 90s here in Ga.

John
John2kx
QUOTE(Caveman @ Apr 19 2004, 02:18 PM)
I think I've seen your radiator pic and you have 2 puller fans (don't all those renegades smile.gif ), right? Why did you put in the pusher, those things are like half as efficient I thought. Unless its set at a lower temp and only when the AC is on or something. 2 big fans should be more than enough.

I'm running what RH currently sells...........two pullers on radiator and pusher on a/c condenser. The fan for condenser is wired to come on when the a/c clutch is engaged. I think this method would give colder air when stuck in traffic while radiator fans are off.

John
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 18 2004, 11:49 PM)
Once you remove all the blower/vent crap from under the cowl you have a TON of room to do whatever you want.

B

Ton of room my ASS!! If it was that easy I would be done by now. ar15.gif

I have the design done. Right now I need to clean up the crappy ABS forms, fab some brackets and mount the puppy. Should have pics later this week.
I had to make my own wood bucks and will even have to make my own friggen switches. Can you believe nobody makes a cable switch anymore??@$#%&!!
I could use the VA servo motor heater valve control but the budget is already blown. fighting19.gif The factory switches are ass backwards. headbang.gif
There is a reason it hasn't been done yet...

Chris givemebeer.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.