Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
What are the pro's or cons on a cable shifter setup?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I assume that you are installing on a six conversion with a 915 or g 50 gearbox?

Everything is bad with the cable setup except for the price as compared to doing it properly. Poor slow shifting and interior interference and complicated installation and drastic modification are just three problems.

QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 7 2010, 06:43 AM) *

charliew
I think any mechanical device is only as good as the engineer making it.
McMark
Charlie's got the right idea. Of course that puts into perspective what's on the line when I finally get my cable shifter finished. Gulp! unsure.gif
SirAndy
McMark is working on a setup for the 901 ...

shades.gif

PS: Baaaaa, he beat me to it ...
pcar916
Maintenance has to be done more often though since cables are almost always lubricated too seldom but a well designed and executed cable shifter is outstanding and I like 'em. That said...

The engineering, hardware, and installation must be first-rate in both material/component selection (i.e. stout and durable enough) and carefully chosen tolerances of all joints and bushings. Without exception, every component has to be of superb quality. If all of these are well done and the entire system is protected from dust and grime life is good.

On the other hand a well designed system poorly executed is... poo.

Gosh. These qualities are the same for all systems that work right for a long time. Damn, do I sense a tautology? Not on purpose! piratenanner.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Tell us your application and one of us who has replied can probably tell you the best setup

QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 7 2010, 06:43 AM) *

partwerks
It's on a Subie EJ20 conversion with the 901 transaxle.
RJMII
with the 901 transaxle.

Side shift or tail shift?
partwerks
Side shifter.

Does there happen to be any 914 enthusiasts that make a setup like this, that would be for sale rather than going through this outfit? http://www.cableshift.com/
RJMII
I'm working on one, and McMark is also (according to previous posts in this thread).

Dr Evil gave me all of his ideas, and I am incorporating a couple of my own into the design.
Bill D
Any progress on this?

Anyone with experience with the Renegade cable shifter?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.