Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress on the conversion (finally)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Finally made some progress on the conversion last night! I know to most of you, this is no big deal. but my time is so limited that I cant tell you how pleased I am.

Last night I got the Rich Johnson motor mount installed, as well as the brake lines all reattached. I was able to use the stock safety valve in it’s stock location thanks to some guidance by Mr Shea. (thanks again Eric). Everything is welded up and painted (black to match the current finish of the engine compartment).
The hardest part? #1 – when others “clean” the shop and randomly hide things that you need (the entire hardware package from Rich – took me an hour to find it)
#2 the damn seats. I forgot to move them forward prior to putting the car on the lift. The combination of the lift posts (doors would not open all the way), the top being on, the bolsters on the Renegade seats and me being a big fat guy made this a very frustrating experience. After fighting with it for 45 minutes, I finally threw in the towel and pulled the car down off the lift so I could get inside and do it right. After that, things went pretty smoothly.

Biggest concern was the brakes. I had forgotten that I had never replaced the rear hard lines. I was pretty certain that I would break at least one (if not all three) when trying to remove them from the rear safety valve, being they had been untouched for 38+ years. I got lucky. I little bit of pressure and they came off cleanly. The brakes on this car have always been very good and very low maintenance since the system was gone through 10-15 years ago. I was so pleased that I was able to retain the factory valve (in the stock location) and keep the system intact as is.

Next week I will cut the holes for the oil tank and the access panel in the firewall. Feels so good to make some progress.

Sorry no pics at this point – will try to remember the camera next week.

Thanks again to Eric, Rich, Perry and Gint for all of the help. Never would have even made it this far without them.
pray.gif

beer.gif
jsayre914
first.gif

Good job. Keep it up! Your progress helps to inspire my lazy #$%% biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
Always love to see pictures.... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
You have my number call me if you need help, coaching, moral support, or immoral support for that matter!
bcheney
I am converting my 75 to a -6 with an RJ mount as well. It went it pretty smooth. Funny you mention keeping the stock brake pressure regulator...I had what sounds like a similiar conversation with Eric about two weeks ago. I had decided to pull back on using a T-Fitting and opt for the stock regulator. The problem was that you cant use a stock 75 regulator as its different than the early ones from 70-73. He told me to just get an early stock regulator with early hardlines. I have one coming from Bruce Stone so all should be well. Keep up the good work...I can relate to the "little things" that seem to slow you down at every opportunity. I have all my stuff organized in bins, labled and I still search for endless amounts of time to find stuff! A conversion is a LONG process...It's a great thing that so many of the daily guys on this board are so happy to help anyone with their project!
SLITS
I guess I'm going to die as I have used the "T" in all my conversions AND I use SS flexible brake lines.

Crap ... I'd better up my life insurance.

Joseph will save me though.
bcheney
Don't worry too much..afterall any guy who has Glenn for a friend is in good shape! Hope you guys have a blast at your upcoming event!
Gint
smilie_pokal.gif Go Scotty...
Eric_Shea
I guess I'm going to die as I have used the "T" in all my conversions AND I use SS flexible brake lines.

Nobody gives "you" shit about it because... confused24.gif lol3.gif

Up the insurance and add me as a benny.

any guy who has Glenn for a friend is in good shape

Glenn told me in confidence that he gets a monthly check from Ron Slits so Ron Slits can say he has a friend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.