Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long for a paint job?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
Quick question guys!

I have never had a car repainted so have no clue how long the process takes.

Let us assume that ALL body work is done (primered etc.), bumpers, etc removed. How long should a decent paint job take from delivery to pick-up assuming they start on it on the day it is delivered?? (yes, I realize this might not be reality)

Thanks! flag.gif
Jeroen
depends on how good your prep work is

1 day prep
1 day paint / bake / dry

could be less...

Lot depends on the priority of the shop to work on your car and how busy they are.
On the other hand, they don't want your car to be an obstacle on their premisses

Unless you bargained for the "in between hours" rate

cheers,

Jeroen
jonwatts
I agree with Jeroenie, it's the prep that takes all the time. If you're dropping off a completely prepped car it wouldn't take more than a day to shoot it. Of course you won't get any kind of warranty if you apply the primer, but it'll probably get done faster and definitely cheaper.
Mark Henry
One thing I see all the time is an owner that has prepped a car with the wrong primers, as in cheap FLAPS crap OR they have done such a poor job that no respectable shop will touch it.

They get all pissy when you tell them that it has to be all striped off and done right. Then they go and get a buddy to paint it for a box of beer and it looks like shit.

A professional job (or a well done home prep) will take time and money.
TravisNeff
If you are just getting the car shot, then just a couple days. If you are having any body work done, then more time will be required. the best bet (I am guessing) would be to remove all trim (windsheild, door handles, mirrors, bumpers etc.) try to get the dents straightened out and start the sanding process, either strip or sand down to even paint. Let the shop do the final bodywork and prime/paint. Prolly looking at best at a couple weeks with this.

I'll add to the question, how much for a paint job? that is entirely subjective on quality etc. But lets' say this, the trim is removed, and the initial sanding is done or started. I know the CW paint jobs run 4-6K, but I am talking a decent paint job, enough coats to do color sanding afterward on your own, with average/good quality paint. Just the outside of the car and doorjambs.. I guess what I am really after is how much labor hours will it require to prime, block seal and paint?
Brad Roberts
This is the only WAY I would approach doing my own paint:

Find the shop you want to paint the car. Find out what they use for primer/paint/clearcoat (Dupont/PPG/Speis Ecker/Valspar) Buy their primer.

This way.. you wont have some weird reaction 2 years later because your primer didnt match their paint. I see this all too often.

Your playing with fire.

B
AZ914
Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking that I would sand down a couple of bad paint spots, fill a couple of dings,, sand, primer those spots, but let the shop do the full sanding/primer job.

Brad.. good point on the primer....
Jeroen
I completely agree with Mark
I've spend quite a few of my free weekends at a paintshop (a client of ours)

If you dunno shit about sanding/prepping a car, then don't touch it
You'll be faster and cheaper if you let them do that
It'll take them more time to recover a bad prep job, than doing a prep job starting from scratch

If you are determined to do it yourself, or have done it before, still make sure you talk to them BEFORE you start.

Ask em what primer/filler to use and buy it from them (like Brad suggests). Also ask them how to sand it (which grids to use etc.)

If you buy your prep stuff from them, you know for sure you get the good stuff, you'll get it cheaper and they know your serious about it (which will make them take you serious, which is always good)

Cheers,

Jeroen
JEM
I have been painting cars for a living for 30+ years and don't do owner preped cars ,meaning paint prep. Normaly if a customer brings the car taken apart and it dose not need to be striped to bare metal with no body work other than minor door dings,I figure 60 hours lobor minor body work, prep,paint,color sand and buff the out side of the car. You can ad 20 hours for door jambs and trunks, bottom of lids. This is for a first class paint job. Or you can go to Maaco and get it done in a day.
Jerry
Dave Cawdrey
I had 40+ hrs prep work on my bug. That included front apron, fenders (4), pan, hood, rust removal....
Not to mention countless hours remmoving undercoat on wheels

Oh... You said "repaint" blink.gif , my bad
AZ914
Thanks for the info. I've never done this before though would have someone with some experience giving me a hand.

I was looking to save a little money while learning something along the way. From what y'all say, I'm probably better off having the shop do it all (for the sake of my teener). biggrin.gif

I'll just have to cut my teeth on the valances and rockers aktion035.gif
campbellcj
That's a trick question.

As other guys said, it's all in the prep.

My former blue 911 was in the body/paint shop for 3 months. A couple hundred hours of prep. Some minor rust repair plus endless block-sanding. The paint was shot and color-sanded in the last 3 days.
seanery
My buddy paul's '75 911 Carrera rust free (really) was in the shop for 13 months.
He got fiberglass front flares, steel rear flares, oil cooler, fg bumpers, actual IROC tail,
dash was died, RSR interior installed, 17" HRE wheels (took 3 times to get them right).

It's a beautiful car and I think well worth the effort.
TRE was the driving force in this car.

IPB Image
Jeroen
Jason,

If ya wanna learn/be involved, talk with the paintshop

Most like it when a customer actually is interested and prolly will let you help prepping your own car

Some might even have you prep your car at their shop, using their tools & stuff and keeping an eye on you so you don't mess up

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.