Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow! I was standing next to ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
a 914 that was going 185 mph! w00t.gif That's right, 185! Buried the speedo (the last mark is 180).
Seriously. smilie_pokal.gif Just this afternoon. More than once. Redline @ 6500 rpm, 4th gear 930 trans. Screamin'! evilgrin.gif
Normally aspirated 5.7L, 429rwhp @ 6000 rpm, Sheridan Body, big ass tires. drooley.gif
Strapped down on a Dynojet for tuning. Omg what a rush standing right next to it so I could see the dash!
I forgot my camera. headbang.gif

The white LS6 914-8 is finally healthy enough to drive again. Its been at our shop since the Sunday after Hershey in April.
We started out by fixing one broken and one pulled rocker shaft bolt that the owner incurred on his way to the swap meet. dry.gif
By the time we were done, the camshaft, rockers and valve springs had been changed. The crankshaft was removed and re-ground, and new bearings installed along with a new oil pump.
Thats just the engine stuff. We also fixed the hydraulic clutch so it works as intended, wired the starter and kill switch circuits so they don't have excessive resistance, replaced the leaking radiator, eliminated the toe-out at the rear, and so on.
I'll post some pics of the engine rebuild from the shop tomorrow.
jsayre914
that is absolutley scarry awesome biggrin.gif
AndyB
piratenanner.gif CFR Rocks piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Way toooo fast!!!
nsr-jamie
Would love to see some pictures of that car if its not too late...wow 185MPH, thats like around 300KM/H..amazing!
URY914
Too fast...
J P Stein
So, what do you figure that translates into real world speed?
Drums66
tunez.gif boldblue.gif
stones.gif
w00t1.gif
309.gif
ChrisFoley
When we found this we knew the crankshaft had to be removed.
Click to view attachment

Here we have the rear of the engine block with the transmission out of the way, and the oil pan already removed.
Click to view attachment

Once we got the oil pan off we found a spun rod bearing.
The rod jounal was ground down almost 15 thousandths.
Click to view attachment

#8 rod bearing was ground down to the hard backing
Click to view attachment

and all the other bearings were down to copper.
Click to view attachment

I focused the camera on the radio for this picture. smile.gif
Click to view attachment

We also discovered that the oil pickup o-ring was improperly installed, which may account for the bearing failure.
Click to view attachment

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 9 2010, 03:56 PM) *

So, what do you figure that translates into real world speed?

Umm, zero mph. The car wasn't going anywhere. laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure 185 really is possible in this car. Other Porsches with less than 400 hp have top speeds in excess of 180mph.
guywan914
I was dreamt mine hit 125 today!!!!Chris I finally have your panels ready, shall I drop them off next week. gfuy
VaccaRabite
I've never done anything with a dyno...

Does it take into effect the drag from going down the road at that speed?

Zach
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 9 2010, 08:45 PM) *

I've never done anything with a dyno...

Does it take into effect the drag from going down the road at that speed?

Zach

A dyno can't take into account either drag or vehicle weight, neither of which affects horsepower or torque.
It took about six seconds to go from 60 mph to 180mph on the rollers.
On the road it would take a bit longer.
The only placeI can think of around here where someone might get the car up to speeds like that is at Pocono International Raceway.

This is the car in the Hershey caravan back in April.
Click to view attachment
(thanks to Joe Sayre for the picture)
championgt1
Sweet! busted_cop.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.