Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DOT "approval" for rims and such??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I've asked Fikse and Kinises about specifications and I've been told just a standard answer "yes, they are made to meet or exceed the standards"

Anyone have access or can point me to what the "standards" are???

I know when 3-piece modular rims started to be used on the street, they used to be 20 bolt (my old Ronal, magnesim centered rims), now they are 40 bolt.

Why??

Racing wheels can still be had in 20 bolt configurations, but I want to know where it is written what has to be what?????
machina
japan has JWL and germany has TUV, don't think there is a USA standard accept round.

dr
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 19 2004, 06:35 AM)
Anyone have access or can point me to what the "standards" are???

SEMA used to set standards, prolly still do ...

i typed "SEMA.org" into my browser and it sent me here:

SEMA Website

check 'em out ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Apr 19 2004, 08:01 AM)
and germany has TUV

actually, the TÜV just ensures that your car is up to the current standards.

the standards are set by DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) and enforced by the TÜV ...

the TÜV inspectes your car every 2 years.
complete mechanical inspection (including emissions).
if it fails really bad, they'll impound it right there at the spot.

otherwise you'll have to get it fixed asap or the police will visit you and take it off the road.

always seemed like a royal pain in the butt when i was still living in germany,
but now, after seeing some of the "vehicles" that are on the roads here,
i'm thinking it's not a bad idea at all to check all cars every 2 years ...

driving.gif Andy

btw. my car in it's current condition would NOT be streetlegal in germany.
GWN7
Lots of reading here too, but they don't say anything useful Government USA-NHTSA

I did see that 914's are not on the list of approved cars for import tho. There must be a 25 year old exemption clause like here. It's just that it's not shown on the site.

Looks like it's standard 110 that applies, but what it is exactly, is not said. Rulez
TimT
SAE writes the standards for automobiles...

Try here
maf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 19 2004, 09:39 AM)
always seemed like a royal pain in the butt when i was still living in germany,
but now, after seeing some of the "vehicles" that are on the roads here,
i'm thinking it's not a bad idea at all to check all cars every 2 years ...

After living in Germany for several years, where old cars are somewhat unusual on the streets, I forgot about the lack of road safety testing of vehicles here. When I returned to Georgia I was amazed at the condition of some of the clunkers on the road. Cracked widshields, smashed headlights, non-functioning brake and tail lights, sagging suspensions, billowing clouds of smoke from exhausts, you name it. Georgia once had an annual road safety check but it was dropped many years ago. People claimed the system was crooked, but at least it forced people to take care of the major safety repairs. Not to TUV standards though!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.