Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN tag at the 1976 cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
could anybody tell me where the VIN tag should be at a MY'76 914 ??
I always thought, that it should be at the same location than at the MY'75 cars,
but now I saw photos of two different cars where it wasn't there ... blink.gif

the green one has the two wholes for the rivets, but no VIN plate or open setion at the carpet:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

same here:

Click to view attachment

any knowledge about this idea.gif
type47fan
Not used on the '76 cars . . . . Possibility: VIN tags for 4 cylinder cars reference "Volkswagenwerk AG Typ 47". Weren't the MY '76 cars assembled by Porsche? If that was true, there wasn't an appropriate tag available to fit the >4,000 lame duck cars being assembled. The previous 914 VIN tags for the MY '70 -'72 cars assembled by Porsche referenced "Dr.Ing.h.c.F.Porsche KG Typ 914/6".

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1062214
ws91420
The vin is usally at the left lower corner of the windshield on the dash. I wish I had seen this earlier in the day and I could have looked on my 76 for the data plate in th trunk.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 10 2010, 04:14 PM) *
The vin is usally at the left lower corner of the windshield on the dash.

That's US only. He's talking about the larger square(ish) aluminum plate.

AFAIK, '76 cars did not have the larger VIN plate. shades.gif
agentblr
agree.gif My 76 is the same.......... and the location of the body number tag that has been sprayed over.
sixerdon
Likewise, my '76 has the holes but no VIN tag. The carpet covers the area as pictured above. Material and labor savings along with the "stick on" 914 2.0 tag on the rear.
Don
Bleyseng
It was left off as a weight saving measure!
These cars were assembled in batches at the Karman plant.
MDG
Same here on my '76, holes - no tag.
Drums66
76'....rust hole. no tag poke.gif
Racer
Can't see a tag on any pics from my '76 either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.