Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No room in the trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I've been wanting to try this for a long time. My first try.
Elliot Cannon
Takes up little room.
bcheney
A man has gotta do what a man has gotta do...That looks pretty cool. How does it sound in the cabin when the roof is on? I guess it doesn't really matter does it...
rick 918-S
Nice idea Elliot!
majkos
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 11 2010, 04:22 AM) *

Nice idea Elliot!

agree.gif
Different, but I like it!
jim_hoyland
Very cool ! smile.gif How is the canvas attached to the hard parts ?
Bartlett 914
I have been thinking along the same lines. I want to use a screen. Long trips on the highway in full sun is sometimes too much. On the other hand, putting on a hard top spoils the fun.
Rotary'14
I like it! Will this be at the G&R flesh roast? I'd love to see it in person.

-Robert
76-914
Cool, Elliot. How does the top of the window mate/seal against it? I trust you used AC grade aluminium and AN hardware. shades.gif Hey, wait a minute. I thought that you were without 914. Did you get another one? Are you a repeat offender?
ClayPerrine
Kinda looks like he is suffering from 911 Targa envy.

poke.gif
Sleepin
Awesome! :whydidn'tIthinkofthat: smilie_pokal.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Oct 11 2010, 08:05 AM) *

I like it! Will this be at the G&R flesh roast? I'd love to see it in person.

-Robert

I'll be there.
Elliot Cannon
I used a roof that Joe Sharp gave me a while ago (thanks Joe). I cut about 18 inches from the middle of the roof and attached a piece of "sunbrella" to the remaining front and back pieces. The original roof latches are still used. I went to a local upholstery shop and had them make a piece of black sunbrella 23X48. I had a one inch hem sewn in all around and slid a piece of welding rod in the front and rear hems to make them secure under the aluminum strips.
I got the idea from looking at John Petersons car "Elvira". His fuel injection encroaches into the rear trunk and he is unable to store his roof in the trunk. Others might have the same problem and maybe this will help. I have another roof and will be making another top soon.
Cheers, Elliot

PS John, if you're coming to the G&R, the top is yours if you want it.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 10 2010, 11:31 PM) *

Takes up little room.

It seems to me IMHO to eat up more luggage space than the OE flat FG top in the clips Elliot. idea.gif
mepstein
might be really clean looking if you ran the fabric from the front edge to the back edge and covered up the plastic top completely.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 13 2010, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 10 2010, 11:31 PM) *

Takes up little room.

It seems to me IMHO to eat up more luggage space than the OE flat FG top in the clips Elliot. idea.gif

The point of whole idea was for someone who can't stow the regular top at all, because of other equipment in the trunk or cutouts to allow FI etc. to fit in the engine compartment.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 13 2010, 05:25 PM) *

might be really clean looking if you ran the fabric from the front edge to the back edge and covered up the plastic top completely.

You might be rite. There are a few different configurations. This one was the quickest. The next one should be a little better.
Cheers, Elliot
markb
We'll make you a killer deal on more tops..... smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 13 2010, 05:05 PM) *

You might be rite. There are a few different configurations. This one was the quickest. The next one should be a little better.
Cheers, Elliot

Like this? This from by B-inlaws 914 when we picked it up a few years ago. The first owner was a engineer and made a few other mods to the car. The one I like the best is the flip down rocker panels. Makes cleaning behind them very easy.

Rand
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 14 2010, 02:59 PM) *

Like this?

Cool.

I was looking at a friend's Elise top, wanting to duplicate it. They have an interesting latching system, and spars stitched inside the fabric front-to-back so it held it's shape perfectly at speed or rest, and was thick enough to provide some insulation for extra quietness.

Nice work Elliot, I'm looking forward to seeing new versions.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 14 2010, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 13 2010, 05:05 PM) *

Cheers, Elliot

Like this? This from by B-inlaws 914 when we picked it up a few years ago. The first owner was a engineer and made a few other mods to the car. The one I like the best is the flip down rocker panels. Makes cleaning behind them very easy.

I like that one alot. cheer.gif Flip down rocker panels...Hmmmm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.