Late 914 Fronts $349.00 Per Pair: Click Here to Learn More
Click to view attachment

Early 914 Rears $349.00 Per Pair: Click Here to Learn More
Click to view attachment

Late 914 Rears $349.00 Per Pair: Click Here to Learn More
Click to view attachment

914-6 Fronts $349.00 Per Pair: Click Here to Learn More
Click to view attachment

Specializing in 914-6 and 914-6/GT Rear Calipers $349.00 Per Pair: Click Here to Learn More
Click to view attachment

Why have us restore your brakes?

Very simple. Because we do it right. The way the factory did it. The way it should be done for many reasons. Here's some common questions:

"Why not just "paint" the calipers?"

1. Paint only protects the outside of the caliper... not very well and only temporarily.
2. Paint comes off with odd things like... brake fluid and brake cleaner.
3. Zinc is the factory finish and has superior corrosion protection.
4. Zinc re-plates the bore, which it probably needs it by now.

Rebuilders that paint calipers do so because zinc is expensive. They can easily slap on a coat of paint on "in-house" and it speeds up the process. They can even call it cool things like "Ceramic" or "Polymer" etc. If you want your calipers done right they will need to be zinc coated like the day they left the ATE factory.

"Why not buy the el cheapo mass-rebuilt, assembly line calipers other parts vendors are pushing on me?"

1. Those things cost those vendors $35.00 each. They're pushing them because there's big money to be made off you.
2. The caliper bodies are vibratory tumble polished. They put them in a huge bin of media and polish all of the finish off them. Then they get an oil bath. That's it! There is "no" protective finish on them at all! Give it a few years and your bargin calipers will literally be covered with rust. We've seen hundreds of them. The ones that come from the big-box rebuilders are almost unusable in a few short years.
3. The same process applies to your "vital" fasteners. We've seen some fasteners about to rust right through (see picture below)
4. And finally, mass production can lead to mass-problems. We've actually seen pistons in backward. Your piston step needs to be set at a precise 20 degree angle to help eliminate pad squeal. We've seen the wrong calipers delivered (there's many VW deriviatives of some of these calipers). We've seen handbrake arms with the wrong springs set to them... meaning; your handbrake is on all the time!

Click to view attachment

The real benifit of zinc is the sacrificial coating properties. Zinc, by nature, will attract oxidents and literally save the metal it is protecting. Even if it is scratched off the zinc will continue to protect the steel it encapsulates. We've restored 46 year old calipers and have them come out looking brand new. All thanks to the protective properties of the zinc coating applied those many years back.

Zinc also helps protect your piston bore. While the bore is not a sealing surface, it can get wear from the piston. Wear, lack of fluid changes and rusty caliper shellac will cause a caliper to stick. This usually happens just above the seal where moisture can get in. Other rebuilders use a hone to clean out your caliper bore. We recommend against that as it leaves a fresh steel on steel surface (bore and piston). The zinc bath leaves a perfect factory finish on the inside of your caliper bore. All in all, the process will clean and replate the entire caliper and make everything good for another 30-40 years.

Now you know what we mean when we say "We don't rebuild your calipers... we restore them."
Eric_Shea
Thanks for your support and for making it a great 2010!
Cairo94507
I have a set of late "S" aluminum front calipers going to Eric soon so they will be as perfect as my 914-6 rear calipers he restored. I just have to wait until my 914-6 budget gets back in line. 4th quarter taxes, Christmas, etc....
porbmw
Eric!
Picked up the fronts and rears for the 6 about 10 days ago.
Haven't seen fresh, NOS sets...but I can't imagine they look nearly as good as the ones you restored.
Absolutely beautiful!
Thanks so much
jjackson
Eric,
Currently run 944 turbo fronts on 1900lb autocross car.Run stock rears.Based on piston size, what would you recommend in rear.We run carbotech pads.Never upgraded any further.J
Eric_Shea
Based on piston size, what would you recommend in rear.We run carbotech pads.Never upgraded any further

951 rears. Your stock rears are probably not really working all that much at this point.
jjackson
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 20 2011, 07:29 AM) *

Based on piston size, what would you recommend in rear.We run carbotech pads.Never upgraded any further

951 rears. Your stock rears are probably not really working all that much at this point.

Thanks for the information.Do not feel that the rears are currently effective.J
70-914nut
Hi i need my 70 914 front calipers done but here it says 269.00 but the website 369.00 which is correct?
Eric_Shea
Both... one has a core charge added to the credit card sale.

(check the page on the site for this):

***PRICE IS PER PAIR. IT INCLUDES A $100 CORE CHARGE THAT WILL BE REFUNDED UPON RETURN OF YOUR USABLE CORES***
70-914nut
pm sent eric
Eric_Shea
We also do A-Calipers for 911SC front suspensions:

IPB Image

And S-Calipers for 911S front suspensions:

IPB Image
ChicagoPete
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2012, 01:29 PM) *

We also do A-Calipers for 911SC front suspensions:

IPB Image

And S-Calipers for 911S front suspensions:

IPB Image

Eric, Those S Calipers look incredible. The 908 version is even better!

Am I the only person that thinks these look better sitting on my office desk than installed on a car??

Kind of like the quality of work that Harvey does on a set of Fuchs...I just love admiring this stuff!

Great work!
Eric_Shea
Thanks Pete... that's lofty company indeed. blush.gif
914werke
Hey Eric aside from the single/dual bleeder difference is there anything particularly beneficial or advantageous with using the early vs late 914 rear caliper? IE aside from "correctness" for the MY application couldn't you swap early for late R. calipers w/o issue?
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 28 2012, 10:34 AM) *

Hey Eric aside from the single/dual bleeder difference is there anything particularly beneficial or advantageous with using the early vs late 914 rear caliper? IE aside from "correctness" for the MY application couldn't you swap early for late R. calipers w/o issue?

Rear calipers are interchangeable. Early have 7mm adjusters and late have 10mm adjusters. I don't see any advantages of one over the other so... Other than that and what you noted, they are totally interchangeable.
horizontally-opposed

Aha! biggrin.gif

pete
914werke
Hey Eric are these available?
Eric_Shea
yes...
914werke
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 18 2012, 07:08 AM) *

yes...

Uh, blink.gif Ok...are the details a secret?
Let me clarify : are the caps available outside of purchasing the $40 seal kit?
Eric_Shea
maybe... lol3.gif
dfelz
If I am going to be getting the 911 front hub, rotor, and strut set up, will the stock 914 calipers still fit?

-David
Eric_Shea
Not unless you get a very early 911 solid rotor assembly. If you go vented you'll need a 911 M-Caliper at least.
Eric_Shea
***UPDATE***

Now Selling Complete Packages for your 914!!

Early or Late Porsche 914 Complete Brake Restoration Packages

***SEND IN YOUR CALIPERS FOR OUR WORLD CLASS RESTORATION SERVICE!***

What's better than a brand new set of PMB Performance restored brake calipers? Getting all of the recommended goodies in one package and saving $70.00 of your hard earned dollars doing so!!

You'll get our complete restoration service for your 914 calipers including:

*Complete disassembly to bare core.
*Removal of stuck or frozen pistons.
*Replating of caliper cores.
*Replating of all fasteners
*Vibratory polishing of pistons.
*Cleaning and recoating piston tops with high-temp paint.
*New factory ATE seals and dust covers throughout.
*Reassembly with pistons in proper position.
*Your calipers will look like the day they came off the factory assembly line (probably better).

You'll also receive our recommended and favorite "Sebro" German rotors for all four corners and all of the bearings and seals needed to make this system a go (or should we say "a stop"?). You'll get new soft lines of course and... (but wait... there's more!)

...our favorite brake upgrade of all time; Porterfield Pads front and rear for that perfect bias match and that perfect stopping power designed into your factory calipers.

You'll get all of this and save yourself $70 clams! (as Mom always said, that beats a sharp stick in the eye).

**Images are for representational purposes only. Actual product may vary.**

Click Here for More Information!
gandalf_025
Just in case there is anyone looking over this thread that
hasn't seen a "Before and After" image of the work done by
PMB, I post this image..

I picked these 914-6 rear calipers out of a box at Hershey a few years ago and
and immediately sent them to Eric, when I got them home.

As soon as they opened the box and got a look at what I sent them,
they called me and asked what I wanted them to do.?

I said make then right..

Here is the image of what I sent them on top and what they sent back
to me on the bottom..

Click to view attachment

I also sent them the full set of calipers from my 6 and they came back just as nice..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.