Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did you drive your car this weekend?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
600 mile round-trip back and forth to a wedding in VT. Car ran awesome with new tires, dead straight and rock solid at 90 mph on the highway.

It rained pretty hard one night despite the weather forecasts. I convinced a gas station attendant to let me park the car under cover next to an unused pump. I must have looked like an absolute nut toweling off the car and putting it under a cover wearing a suit and tie.

We got my full car cover, 2 sets of golf clubs + shoes, 2 overnight bags, the wedding gift, my suit and her dress plus the two of us in the car with no problem -- and that's with my front-mounted oil cooler. I don't think my father's '08 cayman would fit all that junk.

There are still a list of things to do (hvac, replace carpets, cold start valve, blah blah) but all-in-all the car was dependable, safe and a joy to drive.

To all you guys working at your cars -- keep at it. it's worth it!! wub.gif
auerbach
I drove my 76 914 in from East Hampton, New York to Collector's Car Garage in Bedford Hills, New York. The trip is about 150 miles and this is the first time that I haven't flat bedded the car back to it's winter home. The car drove like a dream, and like a bullet. I almost got my -ss handed to me going 100 on I 684 just north of White Plains, but the bull run g-ds were with me. Winter work is being scheduled: replace engine tim with new body color matching tin, rehanging the front bumper, fix the dash lights, radio/speaker work, new gasket on the air box, fixing the window washing system - again, align the driver's side window and reclip the drivers side door panel. A little valve work, oil change and a tranny check - sloppy between 2nd and 3rd.

A nice bath, some body wax, a lot of Q-Tips and it will be Spring again. Can't wait!
Montreal914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Oct 11 2010, 07:41 PM) *

600 mile round-trip back and forth to a wedding in VT. Car ran awesome with new tires, dead straight and rock solid at 90 mph on the highway.

It rained pretty hard one night despite the weather forecasts. I convinced a gas station attendant to let me park the car under cover next to an unused pump. I must have looked like an absolute nut toweling off the car and putting it under a cover wearing a suit and tie.

We got my full car cover, 2 sets of golf clubs + shoes, 2 overnight bags, the wedding gift, my suit and her dress plus the two of us in the car with no problem -- and that's with my front-mounted oil cooler. I don't think my father's '08 cayman would fit all that junk.

There are still a list of things to do (hvac, replace carpets, cold start valve, blah blah) but all-in-all the car was dependable, safe and a joy to drive.

I went to Joshua Tree National Park and in the desert, 350miles roundtrip. 7000 miles in the past year. Even amount of smiles! biggrin.gif
76-914
These cars like 85+ mph. Anything less than 75 is a gallop for them. happy11.gif
oldschool
evilgrin.gif man and all I did was cars and coffee,you can just see my car on the left blink.gif
but you all know jims car. first.gifClick to view attachment
IVGUY
Kelowna BC to Yellowstone... And back home by Sunday nite.....valves are noisy so it was at least 2000 miles this weekend ............car ran 85-90 but boy are some Montana's road ever rough!!!!!washing car today .....side mirror loose......front air dam loose.......it's like off road bike touring ....gonna need to tighten everything up at the end of every day!!!Oh well got the next few months to work on it !
jt914-6
Drove into Little Rock and did an autox...gave my girlfriend her first ride in the autox...she liked it...took first in SSM beating a Miata and Corvette...this coming weekend going to MUSR 11 to drive the "Tail of the Dragon".....

Click to view attachment

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Oct 11 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Ah so you admit the car runs fine and will make the trip down for MUSR11. Join the other northeast guys caravaning down and come join the fun!
VaccaRabite
I took mine for a quick spin aroud the neighborhood. But thats about it.

Zach
iamchappy
We've had unseasonally hot weather this past week with temps in the 70's and 80's so i have been driving my car daily.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Oct 11 2010, 10:41 PM) *

driving.gif Yea, had the car 1 year, first drive out of town!! Took her 4.5 hour drive from S.C. to Daytona Beach FL.- I agree about cruising speed, i tried to keep her at 75, but kept creeping up to 80+! they seem to thrive between 3500 and 4500rpm(2.0)-- by the way, average MPG was 33! hoping to do better once valves etc have been done. new SS H.E. and Triadwest exhaust have made a HUGE difference!
you northern guys are putting yours away, this is prime driving weather down here, i had it up in garage most of summer(no a.c., 95+temps here june -sept) but
now enjoying 75-80 deg. for the next 2-3 months!!!!!
Wish i could make the Tenn. trip, but have to wait for next year- other commitments. -- amazing how many looks these cars get! lots of interesting conversations- a guy in a ferrari says- hey, nice car- what is that?- another guy at our conference says- "who's 914- then procedes to tell me he has 1970 914-6 had for 25 years second owner- not a clubber-yet! I told him- dont sell it with out calling me!! smile.gif

DRPHIL914
Where did you put the golf bags??

QUOTE(rwilner @ Oct 11 2010, 10:41 PM) *

ripper911
I always drive the 914, topless biggrin.gif

The longest recent trip was on friday the other week I drove it from Road Atlanta to south Atlanta, then to my house, then back to road atlanta. It was Petit le Mans and I needed my paycheck and provisons. drunk.gif
I commute about 35 miles one way in the 914, it does fine. piratenanner.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 12 2010, 09:40 AM) *

Where did you put the golf bags??

They fit length-wise in the rear trunk. If you have a cart bag forget it, but a carry bag will fit with some finagling.
rhcb914
I just drove mine into work yesterday since I knew it would be a light traffic day commuting into Boston....yeah we don't get Columbus Day sad.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Oct 12 2010, 11:50 AM) *

I just drove mine into work yesterday since I knew it would be a light traffic day commuting into Boston....yeah we don't get Columbus Day sad.gif

I work in cambridge @ Genzyme and we got the day off...

Where do you commute in from?
msglaigaie
Does not everyone drive their 914 every day?? I only go to the van if it is raining. It is too hard to walk past it without driving it. I agree with Ripper911, the roof must be OFF. I do not even take it with me, Herself tells me "If you drive fast enough, you do not get wet.
rhcb914
QUOTE(rwilner @ Oct 12 2010, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Oct 12 2010, 11:50 AM) *

I work in cambridge @ Genzyme and we got the day off...

Where do you commute in from?

I'm on the south shore so I go up Rt 3 to the South East Expressway.

I work for Thomson Reuters so if the stock market is open so are we.
Frost
Took mines out last weekend, it was running rough the whole time. I tried to go get some gas and i could not get passed 50mph....i want a subby transplant soo bad!
Lennies914
Made a 5 mile beer run beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Frost @ Oct 12 2010, 08:39 PM) *

Took mines out last weekend, it was running rough the whole time. I tried to go get some gas and i could not get passed 50mph....i want a subby transplant soo bad!

A tuneup is going to be cheaper then a trasplant, and will get you on the road faster.

Zach
tracer
I drive mine everyday to work and back. 40 miles each way, just got it back road worthy and can't get enough of it. When I drive all I can think is man, this is awesome!! I just love this car.
EdwardBlume
I drove mine off the back of the couch where Buddy left it... lol-2.gif
jfort
got it out last just before dark. we have been having an unusual warm spell in NW Ohio. great for driving! sunset on the fall trees in the country. sound of the engine. doesn't get much better
naro914
Huey has been to 10 PCA/Porche event weekends this year, the farthest of which was 6 hours away. (not counting local cars and coffee and stuff like that)

Plus, all the trips out for dinner, visit a friend local, run up to Black Forest to check on Papa Smurf, etc.

Forget the Suby engine...go with a 3.2... it's WONDERFUL!!

rwilner
QUOTE(tracer @ Oct 13 2010, 01:55 PM) *

I drive mine everyday to work and back. 40 miles each way, just got it back road worthy and can't get enough of it. When I drive all I can think is man, this is awesome!! I just love this car.

I drove mine back and forth to work today, top off, heat on...perfect new england fall day.

A guy in a new(ish) Ferrari passed me on the highway and gave me the thumbs up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.