Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best race battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
What is the best battery for racing....no alternator.
The battery is in a plastic marine box, so I can use a wet battery with no problem.

So, what is the hardest battery to kill , charge wise...
Need serious cranking amps due to high compression.

Also, in the future, If I use one of those jump start battery booster things, will I eliminate the drain on the battery during starting??

Rich
Brad Roberts
Sears lawn mower tractor batteries. 48.00$ apiece and they last with warranty. We carry a spare and switch it out every so often. Cheap.. and and easy to locate.

B
TimT
What Bradholio said.... you can also use someting like the odyssey battery, its a dry or gel cell, weighs about 15 lbs...

using a helper battery is a good idea if you engine doesnt like to catch the first crank..
r_towle
I put a regular car battery in there while I was building /working on it...
I seem to drain it down alot while trying to start...

Still have the question of ......if I use one of the battery jumper boxes, the ones that you charge at home and bring with you, will that eliminate the strain from the primary battery???

Rich
914momo
I work for Interstate batteries,and one of the best battery we make is a ( Group size 24 ) Deep cycle it has a shit load of cranking amps, very hard to kill,and its not to big.If it is to big you can try a Sears ( grop size 42) also has alot of cranking amps.

Moses.......... biggrin.gif
URY914
Someone years ago told me to use a marine battery like is used on those trolling motors on bass boats. Because they are made to be drained down and than recharged every time.

I know they are heavy as shit. But it would be good for a booster battery for starting.

Paul
TimT
get a battery like this and have a jumper ready just in case... once the engine is fired... these teeny batteries are fine
seanery
I got a deal on an Optima blue. I had it in the 951. It worked out pretty well since that car sat in storage for months at a time. I never worried about the battery holding a charge.
Levi
The Optima is a great battery but it doesn't hold up if you have to recharge it all the time.
seanery
this was a blue top marine battery optima.
MXMARK
I am trying this battery.
MXMARK
Different view.
campbellcj
The PC680 is the same one I got but haven't installed yet; is it known to be OK on its side? That sure opens up more mounting options. I was thinking in the rear trunk but more up towards the stock battery location as that is where all my cables currently terminate; I would just need a longer + wire to the kill switch.
Brad Roberts
NICE. I like that one. Cut out the stock/rotted battery tray and mount this on the wall lower than the stock location.

COOL.

B
MXMARK
As soon as I cut out the battery tray I will remount it in the engine compartment. I just needed a quick fix.
This is the coolest part of my trunk. My headers run down the rt side of the trunk to the muffler then out the lt side. One of the groung straps goes to a bolt that runs to Trans ground strap. The battery holder is available through the battery vendor. I got lucky and found that we sold this battery at my work. biggrin.gif
It has been starting the car hot of cold. I hope this helps Mark.
campbellcj
That was my plan also; to cut out the stock tray and mount it there - but I am not sure the area will be relatively 'flat'?

Plus it still looks like kind of a beotch to cut out the tray and support with the engine in the car and no lift. confused24.gif
Powerman
Levi, where is Chattaroy?? I'm from Tacoma.

Why do you think an Optima has problems with multiple charging? My buddy has a deep cycle Optima in his racecar with a total loss system.
It sets ouside for 6 mo. out of the year with no trickle charge. He charges the crap out of it for three days every race weekend. I found out his charger puts out 18+ volts when I was troubleshooting his ignition last weekend. It's got to be 4 or 5 years old.
I would think this would be more severe than a street car where the alternator kicks in after starting.
ChrisFoley
Hey Powerman!
Mike,
It's good to see you here. Is your race car up and running yet?
Powerman
Hi Chris, how's it going? I don't know where I will store my lawnmower if my car has wheels!!

My health has been bad and I've not touched it since October. Been having real killer headaches that would kill a weaker man, and a sinus infection a month. Been going to work and coming home and crashing. I drove to Daytona sick on my motorcycle, didn't want to be a wuss. Threw up blood and spent the night at the hospital not long after. Anyway..., about three weeks ago I had a bone spur the size of a chicken bone removed from behind my eyes in my sinuses and now I feel like ten men. No meds, no problems.

I went to gregs last weekend and helped him get his car started. I saw you header in a box in the garage!! I need to rag him because I suggest something, and he say's "you don't need that". LOL He's got everything now. He put in a dry sump system from a guy in your neck of the woods.

You coming to Summit anytime? I worked this weekend , so no Hershey, or racing. I have to work plant outage 14 days straight. I'm going to call Greg shortly and see how he ran this weekend without his personal mechanic!

I'm ready to bolt together all those expensive boxes of parts next month. I ordered wheels and tires to help set up my suspension. I'm going to throw some heads on, and get my new flow bench set up this winter to get serious.

Sorry for the long post.
Powerman
I think he has r towle's old block and PC's, the thread's originator! I just figured that out!

Towles, what carbs and exhaust were on that motor when it was dyno'd?
r_towle
40 mm Webers, 6 inch risers, 3 inch stacks.
The header was from the previous tangerine header design, prior to Chris...I still have it, its close to the design by Chris, but he can tell you the differences,,,,basically more restrictive.

Good luck with it, I just got mine running, still have to sort out some electrical issues...

Rich
Powerman
Thanks Rich, were the 40 Webers floatless?

The motor seems alright, he's got the same problems as the last two motors and two different carbs. One cylinder drops out, he thinks the Mallory dizzy is bad. That was my idea too. He could try that old narly dizzy with points. If it fixes it I'd be suprised.

Rambo (part III) will be ready next race. It's what I call theoretical horsepower. We'll see....
r_towle
I had it running before I pulled it with that old narly dizzy, and a used blue coil.
Ran great, smooth as a babies ass till 7k

Check the ignition and the carb settings.

Rich
Powerman
All your stuff is cool, I only had time to start it last weekend. He said it fell flat at 6k. I'd like to see his fuel flow, and check a few things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.