Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need to lock steering wheel when flat towing?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
A mere. 22 hours 'til MUSR departure.

I'm flat towing the 914 with my Honda Odyssey using a Harbor Freight tow bar and Rennenmetal bracket.

I was unable to hook it all up and test it out over the weekend as planned. Working on that now.

Do I need to lock the steering wheel? I searched but only saw references to locking steering when towing backwards on a dolly. I am flat towing forwards.

Thanks!
Lennies914
You do NOT lock the steering wheel when flat towing. Also, do not back up. Not even a little.
Have a fun & safe trip.
Cupomeat
Do not lock the steering wheels as locking them will cause the front to have to scrub around corners as well as put undue stress on the hitch and steering as the wheel will not lock true front.

There was a misprint on the Harbor Freight tow bar stating that the front wheels must be locked, but this appears to be a Chinese misprint.

Good luck, and I am sorry I will not be going to MUSR as I have a film shoot scheduled that weekend.
BigDBass
Thanks guys! I had a vague recollection of that HF misprint popping up elsewhere.
campbellcj
The last time I flat-towed anything was years ago. As said above, you do not want to lock the steering wheel; however, I McGuyver'ed a rope or something to limit the steering wheel's rotation. I figured in case I had to back-up or got into a near-jacknife scenario, it would keep the front wheels from going to full-lock. Seemed to work...1600 mile tow.
76-914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Oct 12 2010, 09:58 PM) *

The last time I flat-towed anything was years ago. As said above, you do not want to lock the steering wheel; however, I McGuyver'ed a rope or something to limit the steering wheel's rotation. I figured in case I had to back-up or got into a near-jacknife scenario, it would keep the front wheels from going to full-lock. Seemed to work...1600 mile tow.

That's old school tow truck driver.
blitZ
You'll want to have the key in the ignition so the wheels can turn and track with the tow vehicle. You might want to disconnect the battery, while the key is on.
jt914-6
QUOTE(blitZ @ Oct 13 2010, 06:26 AM) *

You'll want to have the key in the ignition so the wheels can turn and track with the tow vehicle. You might want to disconnect the battery, while the key is on.

agree.gif I would disconnect the battery and turn on the key to the "on" position so the steering wheel doesn't lock....Of course...don't lock your key in the car or have a spare....Have a safe trip.....see 'ya there....
VaccaRabite
What everyone else has said. You want the wheels to move.
When Mike ad Noel flat towed me from ECC 2009, I was more or less hammered and forgot to put the key in to unlock the wheels. It made horrible sounds o the first tight bed we wet aroud. I was roused enough to realize I had the keys in my pocket, and I freed up the wheels for the last 300 yards.

Noel was driving ad she was nervous towing. The squeals of my front wheels trying to make the turn into thier development did not please her.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
"Harbor Freight tow bar"? That's notsomething I would trust my car to .....................

The Cap'n
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 13 2010, 04:58 AM) *

What everyone else has said. You want the wheels to move.
When Mike ad Noel flat towed me from ECC 2009, I was more or less hammered and forgot to put the key in to unlock the wheels. It made horrible sounds o the first tight bed we wet aroud. I was roused enough to realize I had the keys in my pocket, and I freed up the wheels for the last 300 yards.

Noel was driving ad she was nervous towing. The squeals of my front wheels trying to make the turn into thier development did not please her.

Zach

Zach wet the bed at ECC 2009? Don't share a room with him!!! av-943.gif

Just funnin' you Zach!
VaccaRabite
GRUMBLE!
I am sitting in a traiig lab stealing time. The freaking "N" key only works 50% of the time.

Zach
andys
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 12 2010, 06:09 PM) *

You do NOT lock the steering wheel when flat towing. Also, do not back up. Not even a little.
Have a fun & safe trip.

Actually you can back up if you employ an old trick. Attach two bungee cords through the hole in the bottom of the center spoke of the steering wheel (if you have a three spoke wheel with holes). Attach the other end of each bungee low to the door (if the panel is removed) or perhaps to the seat track. The other bungee to the opposite side. I found the stout trucker's type bungee works well, but use your head when determining how stiff it needs to be; obviously you don't want to lock it in place too firmly. With this method, the car will still track the tow vehicle just fine going forward, but provides just enough resistance to allow you to back up thus minimizing the chance of the wheels camming-over. You'll be able to make some reasonable turns while backing as well, just don't try to over do it.

Andys
BigDBass
I think I'll stick with the "NO BACKING UP" until I have more experience. biggrin.gif

Latest concern is whether I'm gonna need a bigger drop on my receiver hitch. Won't know until ~4-430PM when I hook it up and the local trailer shop closes at 5.
andys
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 13 2010, 10:39 AM) *

I think I'll stick with the "NO BACKING UP" until I have more experience. biggrin.gif

Latest concern is whether I'm gonna need a bigger drop on my receiver hitch. Won't know until ~4-430PM when I hook it up and the local trailer shop closes at 5.

The bungee method takes it from NO BACKING to entirely DOABLE; it works surprisingly well. Just don't attempt too tight of a turn when backing.

Depends on what you're towing it with, but do the drop hitch otherwise the car will try to pick up the rear of the tow vehicle under braking.

Andys
Drums66
...don't listen to any of these guy's.....Put the car in 5th gear for better
gas milage(when you flat tow) poke.gif happy11.gif
bye1.gif (say your prayer's) pray.gif
BigDBass
Damn drummers! Can't live with 'em, sound like crap without 'em!

Yeah, looks like I need a 4" or 6" drop in the next 20 minutes sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.