Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Saw a cool car on the freeway!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
On my way home from Portland on Sunday I saw in my mirrors what I thought was a Lotus. As it went by it was the new Tesla. First one I have seen on the road, and I gotta say it was pretty sweet. Kinda strange to see a car like that go by and have no exhaust noise.

He passed me doing about 85 or so. Never saw him again. Wonder how far they can go doing that kind of speed?

I think I am in love. wub.gif

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
In a MN winter at minus 20 F... Two car lengths.
jmill
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 12 2010, 09:15 PM) *

lol-2.gif Don't leave your cell phone or Ipod in the car overnight either. Made that mistake more than a few times.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 12 2010, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 12 2010, 09:15 PM) *

lol-2.gif Don't leave your cell phone or Ipod in the car overnight either. Made that mistake more than a few times.

OMG! slap.gif agree.gif dry.gif
RickS
Positively hillarious!
Tom_T
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Oct 12 2010, 06:51 PM) *

On my way home from Portland on Sunday I saw in my mirrors what I thought was a Lotus. As it went by it was the new Tesla. First one I have seen on the road, and I gotta say it was pretty sweet. Kinda strange to see a car like that go by and have no exhaust noise.

He passed me doing about 85 or so. Never saw him again. Wonder how far they can go doing that kind of speed?

I think I am in love. wub.gif

Click to view attachment

1. It should look like a Lotus to you - cuz it is a Lotus chassis - less the big ugly side vents, & only the electric stuff is added here in the USA/Calif! blink.gif

2. About 200 miles at 85+/- in sunny CA temps! shades.gif

3. Contrary to Rick's comments - it will run in cold weather, but range is reduced by about 10-30% - less than lead-acid battery EV's, due to the Lithium-Ion batteries (when was the last time your digital camera or cell phone stopped working completely in the cold?). driving.gif driving-girl.gif

.... MN? - serves you right for living in the icy north anyhoo! biggrin.gif

4. He was probably racing off to get the Recall taken care of, before it catches fire from the converter overheating! biggrin.gif

My 4 cents worth! laugh.gif
Britain Smith
I have seen 2 or 3 in the Portland area...there is a really cool looking orange one!

-Britain
Ferg
I can throw a rock and hit the Boulder Tesla dealer.

Rode in one this summer, came out of a parking lot and hit the gas and was WOW neat, this thing goes. Then we did a U turn and one corner and I was WOW this thing is heavy, even as a passenger you could feel it.

Ferg
Mark Henry
At $125K (base price their website) that would buy you a shit load of gas.
How long (lifetime) will the batteries last?

At that price, a 140mile range in the cold (assuming -30% loss) and only a 2 seater totally unrealistic for most families.
EdwardBlume
You got to love how people will spend massive $$ to "save" the earth...
DRPHIL914
Here is one i saw locally last weekend. A local physician owns it.
specs are normal driving conditions 300+miles on a charge- base price is $101,000 but whatever!
The new sedan- Model S will be out in 1 year, (Jan 2012), 0-60 in 5.0, 300 miles/charge as well. price; $50,000. and u get a $7500 federal tax credit.
Charge cost is about equivilant to $4.00, or 1 gal of gas in California, right?
Battery est. life is about 10 years, cost of replacement, between $3,000-$5000.
effutuo101
I read that the manufacture of the batteries (related article on Prius) causes more pollution and longer lasting impact then a hummer does for its entire expected utilization.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Prius

Dr Evil
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.