Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I check my align bore myself?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I am rebuilding a 2.0L type IV that I just bought.

It looks like everything was done right, but was a few years ago.
It is VERY clean and has had almost all of the oil plugs removed & drilled/tapped with new plugs installed.

So, I split the case and it looks like the case has already had at least one align bore (help on how to be sure?).

Anyway, I dont want to pay a shop to "align bore" it if nothing really needs to be done.

Any measurements I can do to decide if it is good or not?

Stu
messix
not unless you have a machinists straight edge to lay along the bores to check for warp. and can take very precise measurements to get the diamentions of the bores with in .001 .

and these need to be made while the case and the cyliinders are torqued.
DNHunt
You can look for a couple of clues. If the case is worn you will see fretting at the parting lines of the main journals. The aluminum has a dull gray almost crystaline appearance. I haven't had a case that didn't have at least a little of this so, I guess it's really trying to find one that's not too bad. You can sometimes find the part # on the old bearings. You can use a known bearing and trial fit it. You can look at the thrust area and see how worn it is.

Best to let somebody with experience and the right equipment look at it.

Dave
brer
if you have a set of new bearings that are the same as your current bore you can press them into the case by hand to assess the amount of crush you still have. If they take a bit of force to press in and pull out then you are very likely to have a good case still.

When they slip in easy and come out easy its time for an align bore as you won't get the proper crush under torque.
sean_v8_914
there is too much at stake to risk this to a guess. the case is the foundation of any engine. although I do check as Brer says, I take all mine to my machinist. cost vs benefit
brer
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 13 2010, 08:53 AM) *

there is too much at stake to risk this to a guess. the case is the foundation of any engine. although I do check as Brer says, I take all mine to my machinist. cost vs benefit

how does your machinist check them? Does he have one of those fancy pieces of equipment that costs $$$ ?
sean_v8_914
yup. Dennis has a fixture. he checks dia and alignment. thrust gets checked simply w a mic but the fixture rotates a feeler thing on teh flange.
what does Don do to check it? he did a few cases for me but I didnt ask how. he cut 2 of 3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.