Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone have billit cam blanks for type 4's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
muddboy
need to get hold of a couple of them for motors going together, and I'm trying to see if anyone has them. Or a used stock cam so that I can get dimensions to make my own.
VaccaRabite
What, for stock configuration?
webcam makes a stock cam. Dunno if it is billet though (why do you need billet?). But there are better cam grids out there then the stock grind even for djet.
muddboy
putting in roller lifters! Thats why I need/want billit. As far a grind, I have my own designs and a way to have them ground in.
r_towle
call Elgin Camshafts.
904svo
Talk to Jake he has some cams setup for rollers allready. He might sell you one.
Cap'n Krusty
Most automotive camshafts are ground from billets (note the spelling). One (obscure) meaning of the word "billet" is "metal bar". Any camshaft manufacturer should be able to provide you with one.

The Cap'n
McMark
agree.gif call Elgin. They're right by me and Dema is a super nice guy.
ME733
.........When you say" BILLET."..I think you should be looking for a "forged steel billet". If you intend to use roller lifters the overall weight will be higher than stock lifters, and Much higher than useing 356 porsche lifters....therefore the valve spring tensions , (seat pressures) will /out of necessity, be pretty damn high., and a "forged steel camshaft will provide the needed strength, so it won't break.........., I understand that elgin will manufacture a forged, billet steel, camshaft., with any of his "grinds"...If you wan;t to afford it. Additionally you could contact /research any number of V.W. professional drag race teams, shops, suppliers, who may have what you are looking for. If you forgo "forged billet steel", most camgrinders have "new uncut cores"- or new camshafts, uncut. my opinion is that you are proceeding down a very expensive path, with a very real possibility of demishing returns, unless you want/ or need to turn the engine in the 8500-to 10,000 rpm range,(like NASCAR engines do.). Finally, their are speciality engines available (type four configuration), but totally custom block, heads, etc, with all the roller cam/follower details worked out, and are "brick shit houses" of reliability., used when racers are making a living racing. drag or round/ round. cost is less than $20.000..............food for thought.
Als914
QUOTE(muddboy @ Oct 12 2010, 10:20 PM) *

need to get hold of a couple of them for motors going together, and I'm trying to see if anyone has them. Or a used stock cam so that I can get dimensions to make my own.

Check with Pauter Machine http://www.pauter.com/vw_parts.htm.
RJMII
slight hijack

On a side note... your sig says something about Hemi conversion heads for 440?? Will they work on a low deck big block as well?? (383/400)

as for the cam billet, I'd probably listen to McMark. smile.gif You're getting published in national magazines, I bet you have access to get a cam ground! I'm looking forward to seeing if this project lands in a magazine as well.
Jake Raby
I'll sell you one.. Made from 9310 tool steel. 425.00

These are made for my roller program, so the lobes are a different width due to the method that we use to install the lifters.

Elgin only grinds cast cam blanks, same with web. Pauter didn't have any TIV blanks last time I checked.

The roller lifter TIV development took me almost 4 years to perfect, lots of challenges and conventional approaches didn't hold up well for me.

IPB Image

This is the set up that didn't work well...
IPB Image

IPB Image

unless you want/ or need to turn the engine in the 8500-to 10,000 rpm range,

NOPE... This is a roller cam dyno plot from my 20,000 mile test engine.. I drove this car all summer at 10:1 CR with the very mild roller cam I designed in 2007, running air conditioning.. Averages 31 MPG, pulls from 1,000 RPM under full load.. You won't do that without a roller cam.

IPB Image

And here are the chassis dyno plots from the same engine at 15K miles.. Note that the engine pulls a set of 5,000 pound rollers under full load in 4th gear.

IPB Image
muddboy
The lifter problem was solved quite some time ago. What I need is an unground blank. I can make one up on my cnc lathe, if I had any old cams. Unfortunatly 20 years ago I thought it was a hoot to drop them on the floor and watch them make 2 pieces. I saved all the gears and have all the sizes and more (30+ gears).
Jake Raby
Yes I have unground blanks with roughed journals and totally round lobe material.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.