Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing dash vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
I changed dash vinyl when windshield was out and messed it up (yes bone headed !). Apparently I had been overserved the night before.

So it must be done again...Any tricks ...this old claustrophic body gave up last night..Assume part of dash has to be removed to make this work but perhaps I will hear otherwise. When I get stuck I tend to remove everythin g in sight and I am trying to avoid that. ANy ideas..Thanks
Terry pinch.gif
EdwardBlume
I replaced mine with the dash off... I'm not sure you can do it any other way, as the bolts help keep the vinyl down...

I also used the famous rear window butyl around the vents because the foam spongey things were toast... we'll see how that works out..
mikey63
I made a template of the dash and made a pressboard base, then covered it with foam and vinyl. This way I can remove it without having to take out the dash or windshield
Black22
QUOTE(mikey63 @ Oct 13 2010, 07:43 PM) *

I made a template of the dash and made a pressboard base, then covered it with foam and vinyl. This way I can remove it without having to take out the dash or windshield

I have to do this soon as well and that sounds like a GREAT idea! I'm going to have to try it. What thickness pressboard... 1/8"? popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
I agree with 'that other Rob' you know... 'that other Rob...'

I just did this last week and it was so easy with the dash top off. Be sure to order 914Rubber.com's seal that goes over the pinch weld windshield lower flange as it covers the vinyl in the front.

I added this little customization, I installed tweeters in the dash area. Looks very subtle... biggrin.gif
sixaddict
Nice job ...Now I am even more embarrassed into doing it right!

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 13 2010, 08:27 PM) *

I agree with 'that other Rob' you know... 'that other Rob...'

I just did this last week and it was so easy with the dash top off. Be sure to order 914Rubber.com's seal that goes over the pinch weld windshield lower flange as it covers the vinyl in the front.

I added this little customization, I installed tweeters in the dash area. Looks very subtle... biggrin.gif

sixaddict
great idea

QUOTE(mikey63 @ Oct 13 2010, 06:43 PM) *

mikey63
I used 1/8" pressboard for this. The windsheild was out of the car when I made the templete. My dash top fits up to the dashcap raised edge making it easy to remove.I have the paper templete I could send you.
PanelBilly
I tried to do it with the dash still in the car and couldn't roll the leather under the front edges I ended up taking the dash out to do the job
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 14 2010, 09:40 AM) *

I tried to do it with the dash still in the car and couldn't roll the leather under the front edges I ended up taking the dash out to do the job

I found that leaving extra material where the dash is bolted down helped, and also held the vinyl down with sticky butyl to get it placed right.. this will help when you reinstall the dash.

The seal that the "other other Rob" (not to be confused with the "other other other Rob") refers to is good to replace so that you can lift and tuck the vinyl in the other side.

I installed my vinyl with the windshield in, and it was tricky to get it to sit around the edges of the vents... although the biggest part of the trick was that I cut my own vinyl...

Lastly, I didn't use adhesive either.. we'll see how that works out..
mikey63
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

This is how my dash turned out
sixaddict
Very nice......I am ill to think my WS was out and I still botched the job !

QUOTE(mikey63 @ Oct 14 2010, 09:24 AM) *

EdwardBlume
Cheater... but nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.