Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side pipes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Hi, I am tryng to figure out what the two mufler like pipes on the side of the engine inside the compartment are used for. I have nithing attached to them. should there be a pipe attached to it?

I also wonder if i need to attach any vaccum hose on the hole located on the side of the engine oil filler.

Any help would be appreciated 914-4 1.7
McMark
The muffler like pipes are the heater system.

The connection on the filler is the PCV port and should go to the air cleaner box or to one of the carb tops if you've got carbs.
914itis
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 13 2010, 06:23 PM) *

The muffler like pipes are the heater system.

The connection on the filler is the PCV port and should go to the air cleaner box or to one of the carb tops if you've got carbs.

thanks for your reply Mark, The to pipes are open, there is nothing connected to them, is that the way hey should stay?
as far as the pcv port, I have double webber, I dont see any place for them. any sugestions?//
SirAndy
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 13 2010, 08:08 PM) *
is that the way hey should stay?

No. Unless you like the smell of hot oil and exhaust gases inside your car.

If you still have the flapper valves on your heat exchangers, you can add the factory hose back on there.

If not, you can cap them off to prevent exhaust fumes from entering your cabin.

Without the correct hoses connected to them, you will *not* have any heat in the car.
popcorn[1].gif
914itis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2010, 11:13 PM) *

If you still have the flapper valves on your heat exchangers, you can add the factory hose back on there.

Without the correct hoses connected to them, you will *not* have any heat in the car.
popcorn[1].gif

ok, I am a newbie, please be a bit patient with me dry.gif

If i understand right, if i dont put the factory hose on those pipes, i will have gas mell in the cabin.. and I will have no heat. did i get this right?
s far as the pcv valve, it can be connected to the flepper valves... i am not sure what the flepper valve is.
Sleepin
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 13 2010, 09:08 PM) *

as far as the pcv port, I have double webber, I dont see any place for them. any sugestions?//

Try something like this:

http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/...e/intakeacc.htm
01-00-8998-0 UNIV. 90+ NYLON FITTING WITH NYLON NUT $ 2.95
IPB Image

Cheap and simple. I think Empi also makes filter caps with the fittings casted in them.
914itis
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 13 2010, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2010, 11:13 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

ok, I am a newbie, please be a bit patient with me dry.gif

If i understand right, if i dont put the factory hose on those pipes, i will have gas mell in the cabin.. and I will have no heat. did i get this right?
s far as the pcv valve, it can be connected to the flepper valves... i am not sure what the flepper valve is.

I loocked up the flapper valves and i think they are there. I still have them.. so that clarifies the heat pipe issue for me. i have to get the hose and connect them to the flaper valve (heat pipe to flapper valve) I am still confused about the pcv
kphimself
I have the same issue, i have the flappers but i have no idea how they are hooked up. Does anyone have a picture of the setup?
914itis
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 13 2010, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 13 2010, 09:08 PM) *

Try something like this:

http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/...e/intakeacc.htm
01-00-8998-0 UNIV. 90+ NYLON FITTING WITH NYLON NUT $ 2.95
IPB Image

Cheap and simple. I think Empi also makes filter caps with the fittings casted in them.

I am still not clear as to where to connect it on a double webber.

nsr-jamie
I bought my heater hoses from 914rubber.com , they work really nice and better than the stock ones
914itis
QUOTE(kphimself @ Oct 13 2010, 11:34 PM) *

I have the same issue, i have the flappers but i have no idea how they are hooked up. Does anyone have a picture of the setup?

what about your pcv valve, where is it hoocked up?
Sleepin
You can run to one or both carbs. Might even work going underneath the air filter and on up...probably better to go through the top.

IPB Image
Sleepin
Here is a good source of info on it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=103161&hl=
silver74insocal
hi guys, can you post any pics of your current set up? i beleive this will help, on your carb air filter do you have an open port other then wherre the filter goes over the carb throat ?this would be where you connect the pcv. your flappers are on the exhaust system directly below the open holes in the engine compartment. they are controlled by cables that come from the heater lever next to the shifter and are visible from under the car. i also found a great deal of info by looking in the originality forums and reviewing the pictures threads on engine bays.

and the pelican website has a great technical forums section as well. good luck hope this helps beerchug.gif Dave
914itis
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 14 2010, 12:02 AM) *

hi guys, can you post any pics of your current set up? i beleive this will help, on your carb air filter do you have an open port other then wherre the filter goes over the carb throat ?this would be where you connect the pcv. your flappers are on the exhaust system directly below the open holes in the engine compartment. they are controlled by cables that come from the heater lever next to the shifter and are visible from under the car. i also found a great deal of info by looking in the originality forums and reviewing the pictures threads on engine bays.

and the pelican website has a great technical forums section as well. good luck hope this helps beerchug.gif Dave

is there a name for that canister thatis used? what to look up or ask for?
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 13 2010, 08:53 PM) *

wow sleepin..great bit of info there.. thanks for posting ,i will be reading this debate for awhile beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.