Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel Thickness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Hi Eveyone.....It's Ed.....yes I'm still around and working on my car in my garage.

Question= What is the gauge of steel that the car's body is made up from? I have a few little holes that I need to weld in ( antenna hole, rear reflector mounting holes, side marker holes, etc..) I just want to be sure to pick up the right stuff.

Thanks!

ED
crest.gif
McMark
18g works, but most of the 'superficial' metal is closer to 20g.
EdArango
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 14 2010, 12:04 PM) *

18g works, but most of the 'superficial' metal is closer to 20g.

Thanks Mark!
kphimself
I had part of my quarter panel off so i measured it, its between 20 and 18, closer to 20. I've been using 20ga for my repairs and haven't had a problem, plus its easier to work with.
VaccaRabite
I used mostly 18ga.

20 is thin ad too easy to burn through when welding. 16 is too thick to cut easily. 18 seemed to be about perfect.

Zach
windforfun
Duct tape works pretty well too. No welding is required.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
r_towle
its 19 gauge....
I went to a sheet metal fabrication shop...they had a nice big piece of it.
Another simple place is just go to any junkyard and buy a hood from any german car....all about the same thickness.
Rich
realred914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 14 2010, 11:53 AM) *

I used mostly 18ga.

20 is thin ad too easy to burn through when welding. 16 is too thick to cut easily. 18 seemed to be about perfect.

Zach

and goldy locks says 18 is just right!!!
Black22
I used 16ga. I started the arc on the 16ga and flowed the weld over to the body panel I was repairing. Virtually eliminated any burn through and it will probably be the last panel to rust through when the car is laid to rest. I had no problem cutting or shaping the 16ga...of course I was raised cutting plate and S.S.! I figured I could buy one thickness and do the whole car. I just doubled it for anything structural. Just my opinion though.
Gint
This is why I keep some 914 body pieces laying around.. Then you just go straight to the source.
ArtechnikA
Nominally, it is 0,7mm

This is not widely available (i.e. - Not Made in USA...)

I suspect (but have never really investigated) a few of the big-$$$ restoration-parts houses go to the bother of sourcing it from Europe. Expect to pay accordingly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.