Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MIG Welder for the Job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Another question.......I'm currently taking a welding class at the local community college in O.C. but I would like to buy my own welder to do the job at home.

Which welder would you recommend to purchase that can handle working on the car at home. I would want something that I can run on regular 110 home current. Maybe you guys have ideas on the best MIG setups.

Thanks!

ED
crest.gif
kphimself
I don't know if they have them out your way but tractor supply is having a sale on a Hobart mig, gas or flex core welder for $589. It runs off 110 or 220 volts. I was eyeballing it this morning when i went to pick up more tips for mine. Just make sure you don't get one that only has like 4 settings, its almost impossible to get your temps right. The one they had i believe had 7 settings on it.
Niklas
Hello!

You should use ESAB the swedish brand.....

This is the best.

Niklas smile.gif
1968Cayman
I've had great success with my Lincoln 180C. It's not a 110 unit but it's a cinch to wire a new circuit to the garage.
kphimself
QUOTE(Niklas @ Oct 14 2010, 03:29 PM) *

Hello!

You should use ESAB the swedish brand.....

This is the best.

Niklas smile.gif

UMMM ESAB drooley.gif
kphimself
220 is better on the power bill too.
sean_v8_914
Millermatic 140 w auto set gas and regulators. it is the best 110 home use machine. has many features that help you weld like a pro. Hobart handler is cheaper and OK. Lincon makes cheaper machines but you get what you pay for.
please do not buy any off-brand or harbor freight wanna-be welders
...and flux core is just plain nasty
bmtrnavsky
Is this the one? http://store.cyberweld.com/millermatic135.html
obscurity
I use a Lincoln Electric 110V welder that I got at Home Depot several years ago. There are certainly better/more expensive welders out there but when you put CO2/Argon gas on it you can make some decent welds for around $500. You'll have get the gas bottle somewhere else but I think I bought mine for under $100 at a gas supplier.

If you have access to 220V you can get a welder with more range but then you have to bring the work to the welder. I like that I can plug mine in anywhere.
sean_v8_914
yup. that is the one. I think its best bang for teh buck. no need for a 220v machine unless you intend on welding fat metal for long periods or decide to go to work with it. I have had a Hobart 135 handler, lincon HD version...not worth the little bit of money you save. call it penny-wise and pound-foolish.
establishing a relationship with a local welding supply co is well worth the 10% extra in price that you might pay upon initial purchase. you can ask a toin of questions as you progress thru the learning experience.
rohar
This year I finally broke down and bought a 110v welder. At least 5-10 times a year I find myself welding for friends that don't have 220 in their garage. Dragging their crap to my house just got old. The local tool shop had a pile of Forney Mini Mig 135 welders for under $150 refurbed w/ 1 year warranty. I couldn't be happier. American made, smooth and I can tuck it into the trunk of the teener wink.gif

Honest truth, I find myself using it instead of the 220v miller in my garage because it's just easier to move.

Andyrew
Any name band 110 w/ gas.

PS, you can convert (name brand) welders from flux core to gas for ~ 60 bucks+ the bottle.

I just did it on my Lincoln weld pack (My previous welder was stolen... so my flux core needed to step up to the plate...)
kphimself
Check Craigslist, you can find lots of great tools for sale on there for cheap.
Andyrew
Find a Lincoln weld pack on craigslist for ~ 100 bucks, then throw on a gas regulator, solonoid, wire it up/hose it up, get a tank and a cart.. 200 bucks you should be able to get a good MIG.
Spoke
Millermatic 135 with gas. Runs on 110V. Handles all welding jobs on the 914.

220V units will give more power but really limits where you can connect to. It's easier to move the welder around the car versus move the car around the welder...
sean_v8_914
oh yeah craigslist. its great to find welders for less than 0.50c on teh dollar. I see ESABs go cheap. I bought my Miller 240 with gas, helet, gloves for under 800
drive-ability
I just got a Lincoln 180 / 220 unit. This thing is so so much more powerful than my old Harbor Freight 110 unit.
Yes its much more money, but you can't weld with any sense of precision or expect things to stay put without a quality unit. Save you money and get a good one. It will last for years just like the welds it makes..

IronHillRestorations
The two things you really want are the gas regulator set up, and adjustable amperage. Infinate amperage adjustment is better than one with just a few "heat" ranges. Whenever you are working on thin or rusty, or thin and rusty, the infinate adjustment really helps to tune it in to the right setting.

I don't know if they still make Century welders, but I got a 110 unit with the gas set up about 18 years ago and it's a great little machine. I do like my 220v Miller machine better though, but the 110 is very convienent for other stuff.
pilothyer
Go for the Lincoln 140C It's 110 source.....up to 140 Amps with continous voltage setting, gear driven wire feed, gas setup included perfect for all 914 work. Right now a 75.00 rebate get's you into it for about $550.00.....I just got one for my son I already have an Esab Migmaster250 I like it too, but this Lincoln 140C has a gun that gets into small places and it is a fine welder Go to www.lincolnelectric.com compare several brands you'll see.....
Andyrew
When I bought my original welder (good setup) I went NEW with Lincoln 135. I had it for 7 years and I used it at least once a month, generally for quite a while. It was a GREAT welder. I think all in all with a full tank of gas I was in it ~ 700.

Again I would still be using this welder if it wasnt stolen from me. Welded 1/4" plate many times all the way down to 20ga. (.35 wire IIRC)

The Lincoln Weld Pak I just welded a bunch of rebar with full penetration.
charliew
I use a welder more than once a week on everything from guns to tools to tractors. I use my old wards 295 amp ac cracker box on structural shop frame type welding, it has a 50 ft lead on the stinger and 30 ft ground lead . I wish it was ac-dc but it's not. I have a 20 year old 160 century mig I bought at tractor supply, a 185 lincoln tig and a cutting torch. I made a 50 ft BIG extension cord for the crackerbox when I built my shop with 8 inch I beam and perling, it also works with my other welders. I never had a desire to use a 110 welder but to each his own. If I had the money at the time I would have bought a miller instead of the century. Tractor supply is a handy place to get stuff but they have high prices. I think craigslist is the best place to get a good deal but the local welding supply places are good people to know.
EdArango
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Great information!!!
rfuerst911sc
My Hobart 135 Handler has worked well since I bought it. I welded the GT flares, Rich Johnson engine mount, Engman kit along with other various chassis stiffening items with no problems at all. It is excellent quality of build with a fair price. I picked up mine at Tractor Supply on sale for $499.00 but then I had to buy the gas bottle. I don't think you can go wrong with Miller,Hobart or Lincoln.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.