Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paging PA/NJ guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikea100
Hi everybody,
I'm looking for any info on a yellow 76 2.0. I bought it last December in Bethlehem, PA. Most likely the car spent all its life in Eastern PA / W NJ. VIN #4762903848.
I was removing interior in preparation for some rust repair and I found this button under the steering column WTF.gif . What can this be, may be someone here worked on this car?
Any info at all is greatly appreciated.
Mike
VaccaRabite
My guess, due to placement, is that it is an anti theft switch. Maybe cuts power to fuel or power to ignition.

Have you pushed it to see what happens?

Zach
championgt1
Rocket Launcher? biggrin.gif
srb7f
Passenger ejection seat? Bond style...
mikea100
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 14 2010, 11:19 PM) *

My guess, due to placement, is that it is an anti theft switch. Maybe cuts power to fuel or power to ignition.

Have you pushed it to see what happens?

Zach

Zach,
I think that you're right. I couldn't get the car started no matter what I did. Now the engine is out for rust repair so I can't try it.
Spoke
I've only seen one other 914 in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton) and that was a beautiful /6 conversion.

Got any pics of the exterior?

Since the engine is out, I would suggest following the wires and let us know where the wires go.
kphimself
Could be a horn? Perhaps someone didn't wanna spring for a new horn switch and just put the button there so i would pass state inspection. hook up the battery and push it, see what happens.
carr914
QUOTE(srb7f @ Oct 14 2010, 11:44 PM) *

Passenger ejection seat? Bond style...

I was thinking Bond Oil Slick....Wait Porsches do that on their own shades.gif
GaroldShaffer
Could be used to start the car. My first 914 the PO had a ignition problem so he hooked up a start button. You had to turn the key to the on position then push the button under the dash to start it.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Oct 14 2010, 09:09 PM) *

Hi everybody,
I'm looking for any info on a yellow 76 2.0. I bought it last December in Bethlehem, PA. Most likely the car spent all its life in Eastern PA / W NJ. VIN #4762903848.
I was removing interior in preparation for some rust repair and I found this button under the steering column WTF.gif . What can this be, may be someone here worked on this car?
Any info at all is greatly appreciated.
Mike

I think it is an intermittent switch used for a converted windshield washer system!! first.gif
914itis
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 15 2010, 03:23 PM) *

Could be used to start the car. My first 914 the PO had a ignition problem so he hooked up a start button. You had to turn the key to the on position then push the button under the dash to start it.

I agree, you may have to turn the ignition and push that to spin the starter.
mikea100
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 15 2010, 01:04 AM) *

I've only seen one other 914 in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton) and that was a beautiful /6 conversion.

Got any pics of the exterior?

Since the engine is out, I would suggest following the wires and let us know where the wires go.

Hi Jerry,
Sorry for the late response. here are the pics. It looked gorgeous and I couldn't resist, I thought how bad could it be? Little that I knew.... headbang.gif I traced the wire and it connects to fuse #9 (Turn signals/Stop lights/back-up lights). WTF.gif This doesn't make any sense. It's just not practical for me to put everything back together now.
Thank you all for your responses.
Mike
VaccaRabite
Fuse 9 is where it is drawing power from.

Was there only 1 wire on it? If so, the switch we probably deativated by the PO. At the very least it needs power and ground wires to work. But the circuit probably started at the fuse box for power, went to the switch, and then went to whatever the switch was controlling.

Zach
jsayre914
agree.gif

Fuse 9 for power

then to the switch

then to the hydrlic ejector under the passenger seat biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Electric trunk release?
jonferns
Hey Mike, we get a lot of cars that come through the shop that have these buttons. Usually you turn the key to the 'on' position then press the button to start the engine. Hmm, we should have gave that a shot before tearing the car apart laugh.gif

I'll give you a call later this week, looks like i'll have some free time next weekend if you want to work on the 914 a bit.
mikea100
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Oct 17 2010, 08:54 PM) *

Hey Mike, we get a lot of cars that come through the shop that have these buttons. Usually you turn the key to the 'on' position then press the button to start the engine. Hmm, we should have gave that a shot before tearing the car apart laugh.gif

I'll give you a call later this week, looks like i'll have some free time next weekend if you want to work on the 914 a bit.

Hey Jon, good to hear from you. I was bummed about it too, but the button had only 1 wire connected to it. So, as Zach mentioned, it was probably deactivated anyway.
jonferns
Mike, did you ever get around to cutting the fenders? If you didnt then dont! I have an idea that will save some time. Check your PM's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.