Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I bought another parts car a 75 with a 1.8 motor and side shift trans. I'm hoping the motor runs so I can switch it and the trans out with the one in my 72. The motor turns over but I haven't tried to start it yet. Are there any steps I should take before trying to start it? My first big concern is gas leaks once I'm sure that I won't be firing up a car BQ I'll put power to the coil and she if she fires up. Any other considerations?

Thanks,

Jsaum
VaccaRabite
Check your fuel lines to make sure they are not cracked and crumbling.

Pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand to make sure it is not seized.
Give it fresh gas.
Give it fresh oil.
Before putting the plugs back in, turn the motor with the starter a little to build oil pressure and get oil back into all the small passages.
Put the fresh plugs back in. Go for start!

Zach
pcar916
Here's a thread that has addressed this before. I got to it with the search function
"+restart +engine after storage" (no quotes).

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=84696&hl=

Good luck and have patience. beerchug.gif

jsaum
Good Idea's I have the fresh oil and filter sitting on the bench. This car has a carb so I might just feed it gas from a can to see it it will run.

Thanks for the help,

Jsaum
IronHillRestorations
I like the MM oil proceedure. It doesn't cost much and gives you some piece of mind.

I put the engine on a stand, and pull the plugs and fill one side's cylinder with MM oil, let it sit for a couple days, and then do the same for the other bank.

The old hot rodder's way is to mix two parts of fuel to one part motor oil, and pour some down the carb while you crank it.
VaccaRabite
The nice thing about carbs...

If the engine turns, the timing is close enough, the carbs are not totally ravaged and varnished the motor should start.

If you hear bad mechanical sounds, stop of course. But if you were going to hear bad mechanical sounds, you would hear them long before the engine caught.

Fuel injection is harder.
Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.