Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lack of use, is abuse!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
Gents, I have a 2L, carbs, ran fine when I put it in my garage a yr ago but I have had a miss from the SAME cyl sence trying to get it back on the road. Changed plug and wires, SAME cyl missing. I have been reading this thread about a missfireing engine, and this snot stuff one can expect to find in carbs. I think thats my prob, so, how does one remove a carb? Where to look? Clean with ? [Got air!] PS. Replaced missing cyl plug today, had 4 burning for about 5 min, then back to 3 cyl 2L engine! GUN COCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Justinp71
Maybe the float needle on #4 is stuck and its over filling the float and flooding the cylinder... is the plug really gassy?
underthetire
If the fuel is a year old, you will need to drain and re-fill as well. Carbs don't like the new gas that separates within a few months. I have to drain all my carbs every year on the dirt bikes. Fuel injection doesn't seem to care soo much.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 15 2010, 03:07 PM) *

Maybe the float needle on #4 is stuck and its over filling the float and flooding the cylinder... is the plug really gassy?

His carbs have only one float and float bowl each, ruling out a stuck float or leaking needle valve.

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
Razor, I know that you have told me this stuff before, but could you remind us what carbs you are using? What kind of linkage? I *think* that I remember you saying that they were dual IDF 40s, but my memory is more like swiss cheese then cheddar, you know?

If they have been sitting unused for a year (it really *is* abuse to let them sit) they may need to be cleaned and rebuilt. Ethanol rots WAY quick and will gum up the passages. sad.gif

If they are IDF carbs, there are 4 studs per carb that hold the carb to the intake runners. Depending on the linkage type you are using, there could be one or more small joints that need to be unbolted to free the carb from the linkage. Open up the engine lid and it is pretty easy to see what you need.

You have changed plugs and wires. Have you confirmed that you are getting spark? The easiest way to tell it to hook your timing light up to each plug wire and confirm that it makes the timing light flash. You have probably done this, but the test is too easy not to mention.

Have you pulled out the idle jets and cleaned them with carb cleaner and compressed air? Also, put the nozzle of carb cleaner into the port for the ilde jet in the carb and soak that too, then blow it with air. It might clean the gum out of that circuit w/o needing to remove the carb.

But, we are gettign into the "winter project" months. This is a prime time to pull the carbs and tear them down for a full on rebuild. They *will* thank you for it, and it is not hard to do. I actually tend to enjoy it.

Search for my thread on soda blasting carb bodies and Mark's thread on using Pine Sol.
Zach
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 15 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Razor, I know that you have told me this stuff before, but could you remind us what carbs you are using? What kind of linkage? I *think* that I remember you saying that they were dual IDF 40s, but my memory is more like swiss cheese then cheddar, you know?

If they have been sitting unused for a year (it really *is* abuse to let them sit) they may need to be cleaned and rebuilt. Ethanol rots WAY quick and will gum up the passages. sad.gif

If they are IDF carbs, there are 4 studs per carb that hold the carb to the intake runners. Depending on the linkage type you are using, there could be one or more small joints that need to be unbolted to free the carb from the linkage. Open up the engine lid and it is pretty easy to see what you need.

You have changed plugs and wires. Have you confirmed that you are getting spark? The easiest way to tell it to hook your timing light up to each plug wire and confirm that it makes the timing light flash. You have probably done this, but the test is too easy not to mention.

Have you pulled out the idle jets and cleaned them with carb cleaner and compressed air? Also, put the nozzle of carb cleaner into the port for the ilde jet in the carb and soak that too, then blow it with air. It might clean the gum out of that circuit w/o needing to remove the carb.

But, we are gettign into the "winter project" months. This is a prime time to pull the carbs and tear them down for a full on rebuild. They *will* thank you for it, and it is not hard to do. I actually tend to enjoy it.

Search for my thread on soda blasting carb bodies and Mark's thread on using Pine Sol.
Zach
Getting spark for sure! 2 IDF 40 or 44s, this is the Auto Atlanta twin carb set up they have in the parts book. Engine fires right up no matter how long I have let it sit, prob is just this one cyl. Where do I find a blow up of this carbs ports, jets, etc, I dont want to just start taking things apart. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 15 2010, 06:10 PM) *

If the fuel is a year old, you will need to drain and re-fill as well. Carbs don't like the new gas that separates within a few months. I have to drain all my carbs every year on the dirt bikes. Fuel injection doesn't seem to care soo much.

Is there something I can put IN the gas for winter storage to prevent this? The gas in the take is mostly this yrs gas, just a few gal from last summer. Bob
SUNAB914
Yea, its called fuel stabilizer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.