Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA vs SCCA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
I know SCCA accepts PCA drivers schools as credentials for a competetion license. What does PCA require as far as car setup to go through their schools?
Brad Roberts
They have no schools. You have to run something like 8 DE's to get a PCA license.

Not sure what region you are in but our SCCA region laughs when you tell them you have a PCA license.

IF you have a SCCA license.. then you are given a PCA provisional and you must run two races before they give you the full tilt boogy (or win an enduro like we did).

I knew back in the day that everyone basically follows SCCA so I skipped all the BS and took the SCCA school and ran several events to get my National license... which gives you the open door to other venues (like NASA).

Things may have changed... but I see NO reason why SCCA would give you a Regional license based on a PCA club license.

B
rdracrdave
As of the February "Fastrack" SCCA publication , a Porsche Club " full comptition" license is OK for SCCA regionals.
You will also have to be a SCCA member .
I'd Check with SCCA home office in Topeka for any other hoops you may have to jump through.

Good Luck
Dave
Dave_Darling
Yup, they went through that a couple of months ago on the Racing Rennlist. SCCA didn't used to accept a PCA Club Racing license, now they do. Not local PCA Time Trial/DE, but PCA National Club Racing.

As B said, everyone accepts SCCA's license--at least provisionally.

--DD
ArtechnikA
PCA Club Race Licensing Reguirements can be found here.
Blynes
SCCA will issue a competition license if you have completed an approved school like Skip Barber.

BL
machina
Here is my experience getting a license.

First of all, driver's ed days do NOT in any way count towards any kind of SCCA license.

Second. In order to get a liscense from a school, the school has to be nationally accredited.

Third, even if you pass the school, they still have to give you a certificate of completion and a certificate of compliance. The compliance certificate is the important one. Out of 12 people in my group, everyone passed but only me and one other person got the compliance letter.

The schools are real careful about who gets the compliance letter because if they issue it and you go racing and turn out to be lets say "not qualified", they can lose their accredidation.

I only did well at the school because I had already been doing track events for 8 years prior. Was fun in the class when I said for guys in the faster ZR1's to please mind the old camaro's coming up from behind them. When I lapped them a couple times every session they began to realize what I was talking about.

Anyway if you are going to pay for a school, make sure it is nationally accredited and make sure the chief instructor know you are trying for your compliance letter.

dr
brant
Brett,

everyone's input is correct...
regarding PCA national club racing lisc...
Yes 8days of DE minimum plus a letter from your regions chief driving instructor to apply for national lisc...

The car has to pass a full tech with all of the other standar safety items such as:
full cage, 5year belts, race seat (not stock seat), etc... plus usually a seat brace which scca and some places don't care as much about...

then the pca school is 2 friday evenings before the saturday events....

Then the full liscense is 4 events in a 2 year period without incident

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.