Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring up a second set of fog lights.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have the stock fog lights, in the stock position on my '73 with the fog light switch innermost on the left side of the steering column.

Many months ago I bought a set of brackets like these: http://www.rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1620

They mount where the bumper tits were on my '73 front bumper.

I'd like to get a set of Hella 500s and wire them up, but I don't know how.

I'd my understanding that I should have them on a different switch from my regular fog lights, run them to a different fuse and/or ???? So I am looking for some advice here on how to handle this.

Thanks in advance.
john rogers
I added a double set of 4 lights to my 03 Mini Cooper S and have a pair of lights on my dually and both times I wired the lights directly from the battery, I.E. from a spare fused connection and used a supplied relay off an extra switch on the dash to activate. I used PIAA and they came with the switch, replay and wires so it was easy.

As a side note on our 1974 914 I wired the high and low beams to be both on when the highs were on and there are relay kits that can do that easily. I did that on my dually so when I am towing across the desert to a racer (or used to) I get LOTS of light!
Spoke
Do you want them to turn on independent from the main fogs or at the same time?

It is pretty simple: have a switch to energize a relay; relay connects power to the fogs.
Cap'n Krusty
The big question is, why? Hella 500s are driving lights, and you're gonna mount then too low to be effective for anything but blinding oncoming traffic. If you use them as fog lights, they'll temporarily ruin your distance night vision (just like all the morons who drive around with their fog lights on all the time) and will be LESS SAFE in terms of driving at night. Aside from all that, they're not designed to be used as fog lights, and the beam isn't the correct pattern. Even MORE bad news: In CA, you can have only TWO pairs of front mounted lights in "ready to use" condition. That's why you see the bags (covers) on auxiliary driving lights mounted on off road looking trucks. You'll have to cover or remove your fog lights if you want to keep those operational. Just another way to bait the man ..............

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
I'd like to run them independently from the other fogs and the headlight. I am thinking a second fog-light switch on the right side of the column.

I am a wiring noob, so I need it all spelled out. What relay to use and where to put it, which fuse, best place to route the wires, etc...

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 16 2010, 02:38 PM) *

Do you want them to turn on independent from the main fogs or at the same time?

It is pretty simple: have a switch to energize a relay; relay connects power to the fogs.

KaptKaos
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 16 2010, 03:29 PM) *

The big question is, why? Hella 500s are driving lights, and you're gonna mount then too low to be effective for anything but blinding oncoming traffic. If you use them as fog lights, they'll temporarily ruin your distance night vision (just like all the morons who drive around with their fog lights on all the time) and will be LESS SAFE in terms of driving at night. Aside from all that, they're not designed to be used as fog lights, and the beam isn't the correct pattern. Even MORE bad news: In CA, you can have only TWO pairs of front mounted lights in "ready to use" condition. That's why you see the bags (covers) on auxiliary driving lights mounted on off road looking trucks. You'll have to cover or remove your fog lights if you want to keep those operational. Just another way to bait the man ..............

The Cap'n

I know you like to do the whole curmudgeon thing, but I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from that.

Thanks.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 16 2010, 07:58 PM) *

I know you like to do the whole curmudgeon thing, but I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from that.

Thanks.

Can't take the truth? Just pointing out the established facts, maybe save you some grief. The Cap'n
eg914
Cap'n Krusty is correct, CA vehicle code says you can't have more than two sets of lights on at one time. This means headlights + fog lights or headlights + driving lights. He is also correct about fog lights ruining your night distance vision when used in clear conditions. If you run driving lights with your low beams you will blind other drivers, very uncool and I believe illegal.

Curmudgeons rule
john rogers
If you buy the lights and they come in a box like the PIAAs I use, they have very complete instructions. I bought mine from ORW in San Diego and they do installs for those that don't want to try electrical stuff themselves.

Here is the link for the CA vehicle code covering lights. Since the car is "old" you can generally get away with a little more.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a2.htm

This will allow you to decide what you want to run.
carr914
Why stop at Two?

Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 17 2010, 03:47 PM) *

Why stop at Two?

Click to view attachment

That car says Hedonism II on it. piratenanner.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 17 2010, 06:47 PM) *

Why stop at Two?

Click to view attachment

That ebay seller is the one who owned the shop that built/vin switched/hacked up my car, 26 years ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-197...reetQ5fLegalQ5f
KaptKaos
QUOTE(john rogers @ Oct 17 2010, 10:08 AM) *

If you buy the lights and they come in a box like the PIAAs I use, they have very complete instructions. I bought mine from ORW in San Diego and they do installs for those that don't want to try electrical stuff themselves.

Here is the link for the CA vehicle code covering lights. Since the car is "old" you can generally get away with a little more.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c2a2.htm

This will allow you to decide what you want to run.

Seems like you all may have a misunderstanding of the law. Assuming that the information on the website above is correct and complete, I present the following:

First, the maximum number of lamps.

V C Section 24405 Maximum Number of Lamps
Maximum Number of Lamps

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:

(1) Headlamps.

(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.

(3) Fog lamps.

(4) Warning lamps.

(5) Spot lamps.

(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.

(sunglasses.gif For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp system shall be considered as one lamp.

© Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency vehicle.
Amended Ch. 234, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977.

The controlling language being in bold above. Also, I will omit the emergency vehicle language from the next citations, as they are the same.

Then, the site makes a differentiation between driving lamps and fog lamps. Here is the language of each:

V C Section 24402 Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps
Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(sunglasses.gif Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.

Fog Lamps:

V C Section 24403 Foglamps
Foglamps

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.

(sunglasses.gif On a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.

© On a motorcycle, the foglamps authorized under this section shall be mounted on the front at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 40 inches and aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle projects higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, for a distance of 25 feet in front of the vehicle.

Amended Sec. 20, Ch. 451, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

If I follow the specifications of the vehicle code, I can run the following:

• Head lamps
  • Driving lamps 16" off the ground, only with the high beams. At 24" inches above the ground I can run the driving lamps with low or high beams.
  • Fog lamps between 12 and 30 inches off the ground, and only used with low beams.
  • I can not run the driving lamps and fog lamps at the same time.

Therefore, based on the above referenced vehicle code, I can only have 4 lamps lit at any time, and they have to be in the combinations listed above.

aktion035.gif

montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 16 2010, 03:29 PM) *

Even MORE bad news: In CA, you can have only TWO pairs of front mounted lights in "ready to use" condition. That's why you see the bags (covers) on auxiliary driving lights mounted on off road looking trucks. You'll have to cover or remove your fog lights if you want to keep those operational. Just another way to bait the man ..............

The Cap'n

What is "Ready to use"? I would think because our headlights aren't showing until in use, That would mean you could have stock fog lights and add another set of auxiliary / driving lights and not have to cover them.

So in reading the text from the site, It's within the law to drive with a set of operating driving lamps at no less than 16" in height with your high beams on but not your low beams on?

Our stock fog lights turn themselves off when you turn on the high beams right?
KaptKaos
Like I said, assuming that the text from the DMV site is correct and complete, I think it's ok to run the other lights.

Now - can someone give me some helpful hints on how to do this?
tradisrad
How could I not help a guy with such a beautiful family? Here you go...
Here is a basic link : http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earl...ch/foglites.htm
I would run a new wire from the battery or take the 12v from fuse 11 (assuming your car is a '73), but taking the fog light power from fuse 11 will put more current through the factory wiring. Put a fuse on this wire where you can easily get to it. This wire will go to pin 30 of the relay and then run a wire from pin 87 (of the relay) to the new lights. This is you 12V supply for the lights. the other side of the lights will go to ground. You can find a ground near the head light motors.

Next you will need to power your relay. Use your new fog light switch to turn on the relay. the power for this can be take from fuse 11 (always hot) or from fuse 8 or 9 (I believe these are hot only with the key on; double check) and attach it to one side of the fog light switch; then run a wire from the other side of the switch to pin 85 of the relay. Gound pin 86 of the relay. You should be good to go.
Here is a pelican part wiring diagram link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73A.jpg
And the legend: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73B.jpg

Use good thick wire maybe 14 gauge and the more I think about this I would run a new 12V wire from the battery to power these lights. It is likely that there is another switch hole in your dash on the right side under the dash cover; feel around.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Oct 18 2010, 02:56 PM) *

How could I not help a guy with such a beautiful family? Here you go...
Here is a basic link : http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earl...ch/foglites.htm
I would run a new wire from the battery or take the 12v from fuse 11 (assuming your car is a '73), but taking the fog light power from fuse 11 will put more current through the factory wiring. Put a fuse on this wire where you can easily get to it. This wire will go to pin 30 of the relay and then run a wire from pin 87 (of the relay) to the new lights. This is you 12V supply for the lights. the other side of the lights will go to ground. You can find a ground near the head light motors.

Next you will need to power your relay. Use your new fog light switch to turn on the relay. the power for this can be take from fuse 11 (always hot) or from fuse 8 or 9 (I believe these are hot only with the key on; double check) and attach it to one side of the fog light switch; then run a wire from the other side of the switch to pin 85 of the relay. Gound pin 86 of the relay. You should be good to go.
Here is a pelican part wiring diagram link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73A.jpg
And the legend: http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73B.jpg

Use good thick wire maybe 14 gauge and the more I think about this I would run a new 12V wire from the battery to power these lights. It is likely that there is another switch hole in your dash on the right side under the dash cover; feel around.

Thanks so much for your help. That's what I was looking for.

Here's a larger picture of the family!

IPB Image
tradisrad
glad to help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.