Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srohling
I have a 74 2.0 that recently recieved a new 2.39L. The new motor has always leaked a little oil from the start....never enough to be a bother. I recently took the car out for a 180 mile trip....90 miles each way. When I got the car home, I had a large oil leak under the car and the top of the motor looked like someone sprayed oil all over. I looked at the crankcase ventalation system and that doesn't appear to be leaking. Before I drop the motor to take a look, does anyone have any other ideas of where the leak might be? It only appears to spray the motor when I am on a long drive...could it be heat related, motor expansion???

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
Spoke
Where on top of the motor?

For the most part, leaking fluids fall down so something higher up is leaking. Could be the oil filler assembly.

Got a pic?

How much oil has been lost in the engine?
srohling
It looks like a misty spray of oil as the entire top of the motor is coated. It has sprayed all the way to the air cleaners on my dual 44s.

I'm on then road right now, so I can't get pictures....sorry.

Scott
904svo
Check the oil pressure sender by the distributor it might be loose.
simonr
I second the oil pressure sending unit. Also check the distributor . Sometimes the rubber seal can get damaged upon install or is old and brittle.
john rogers
With a new hot rodded engine, sounds like the crankcase needs to be vented and I would recommend checking if there is a PCV valve or lines of any sort running from the oil filler box to a puke tank or aluminum vent tank mounted somewhere such as the firewall. If none, then you'll need to add one as the pressure in the case is lifting the filter box part of the filler and the oil is spraying. There should be a cork gasket there so it is probably toast now so you'll need a new one and I don't think they are available so they can be made easily. Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.