Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WANTED: Type 901 transaxle tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Banzai Motorworks
I am in need of type 901 transaxle tools. I have several that are in need of rebuilding. I'm interested in anything you might have. I definitely need one of the extended 32mm sockets for removing the gear stack nut on the input shaft. Please help me get started on rebuilding these transaxles.
dangrouche
QUOTE(Banzai Motorworks @ Oct 16 2010, 06:35 PM) *

I am in need of type 901 transaxle tools. I have several that are in need of rebuilding. I'm interested in anything you might have. I definitely need one of the extended 32mm sockets for removing the gear stack nut on the input shaft. Please help me get started on rebuilding these transaxles.

you dont need specialty an extensive set of tools, the few items I bought were a 15" adjustable wrench, the snap ring pliers from Sears, the deep socket metric set from Harbor freight, the rest are hand tools like pin punches, plastic headed or dead blow hammers or mallets.
914werke
Well not exactly...
If you want to separate worn dog teeth from gears your gonna need a tool
& to do the shift fork alignment (right) your gonna need a tool
davep
I have one of the very deep 32mm sockets left for sale.
PM for details if interested.
dangrouche
I improvised a shift alignment jig by cutting open a case to expose the shift forks. I used a vise and cold chisel to separate dog teeth from the gears. The practice I got from separating worn dog teeth from gears, I practiced this technique to separate good dog teeth from higher gears. I harvested usable synchros from cannibalized gearsets as well. By cannibalizing two other trannys, I was able to put together a spare box. I did have to go my local Porsche dismantler and buy a reverse slider, a whole $20. After practicing on a worn-out dogtooth, I made a 1st gear dogtooth by using a dremel on a 2nd-5th gear dogtooth. I just need a gasket set and it is done. I would put this box in my 914 if my current one expires. talk about CSOB.
davep
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Oct 17 2010, 07:58 AM) *

I used a vise and cold chisel to separate dog teeth from the gears.

And doing that can lead to this:
Dr Evil
agree.gif
dlwbbr
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Banzai Motorworks @ Oct 16 2010, 09:35 PM) *

I HAVE FS 32mm socket on long extension for removing trans nut. Also have 901 trans alignment jig.
Dan Williams-dlwbbr@yahoo.com zip 30041
LvSteveH
Are you just looking to be able to do a refresh or are you looking to make a more substantial investment to do full rebuilds using factory tools to set pinion depth etc?

The VW385 or original P258a pinion mandrel will run upwards of $1000, but are very nice to have. They also open the door to doing the 915, 930, G50 etc
Dr Evil
I dont understand why people dont just buy the alignment jig. It is light, ships easy, takes up no space, and is not expensive.
tradisrad
is the jig in question the shift fork jig?
Dr Evil
Ya.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 20 2010, 04:25 PM) *

I dont understand why people dont just buy the alignment jig. It is light, ships easy, takes up no space, and is not expensive.

Right. I just can't see spending the time to cut up a case when the plastic jig works. Would one based off a case be better? Maybe, but frankly what really makes a difference with the shift fork/rod adjustments is knowing what you are doing in general rather than worrying about plastic vs. case based jig. With that being said, I have no doubt that I am going to be bored one day and will make my own custom jig out of a terminally ill case. But until then I will be 100% comfortable with the plastic jig.

Same goes with the tool to remove/install a syncro hub (aka dog teeth). It is time that I just don't have enough of. So the extra time and hassle of trying to remove those with chisels, etc. is just not worth it to me. Spend the few bucks for the tool. If you think you may only use it a few times on your own rebuild, you should be able to resale it when you are done and recoup at least 80-90% of your money. Well worth it in my opinion.
jimkelly
buy here.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._TRANSM_pg2.htm

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=109768

long 32 is a custom made socket - where to buy ???
Banzai Motorworks
Dan,

Is the alignment jig the case shown or one of the molded plastic blocks? How much for both?

Dave

QUOTE(dlwbbr @ Oct 20 2010, 11:56 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I HAVE FS 32mm socket on long extension for removing trans nut. Also have 901 trans alignment jig.
Dan Williams-dlwbbr@yahoo.com zip 30041

dlwbbr

FS- 32MM 1/2 socket-18" extension bar, and 901 trans alignment jig. dlwbbr@yahoo.com Thanks,
Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.