Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little quality time (and the mystery leak)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Yesterday I had intended on giving her the once over to get me through the upcoming best driving time of the year by getting a few things done. On the list was a full tune up, and changing the oil cooler seals. I had an issue with surging at midrange/ light load conditions, and an oil leak that I assumed dry.gif was coming from the cooler. So being the first time under the car, I started with the valve adjustment.

Joy! What fun that was. Turned out the valves were set very well, and I needed to adjust only one exhaust valve clearance. So after that, I drained the oil and dropped the filter expecting to see the source of the leak.

Not a drip of oil to be seen at the cooler. I could see the lower cooler seal, it looked pretty good (red) so there was no need to do anything with that. The oil is dripping from the front of the engine, and a little also accumulates at the bottom of the fan housing. I also see signs of oil on the top of the cooling fins of the cylinders on the right side (3+4). So I'm thinking front main seal, temp sensor, or the oil filler itself. It drips about once every minute, and that green oil is kind of pricey.

Any clues?

On to the tune, changed the plugs, adjusted points, and reset timing, which was way off. Started it, ran like crap...duh! might help if I had all four spark plug wires attached, and reconnecting that vacuum line would help too. Anyway, she's idling and running very well, and all hesitation/stumbling is gone. Feels stronger too.

So my only dilemma left is the oil leak....

Joe
URY914
Check the oil pressure sender on top of the engine next to the dizzy. It can leak and the oil runs down the engine past the cooler.
Gint
agree.gif The temp sender is the easiest and cheapest to replace anyway. Beyond that, front seal may be the culprit. But do the cheap and easy thing first.
markb
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 17 2010, 06:57 AM) *

agree.gif The temp sender is the easiest and cheapest to replace anyway. Beyond that, front seal may be the culprit. But do the cheap and easy thing first.

agree.gif
bugsy0
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 17 2010, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 17 2010, 06:57 AM) *

agree.gif

You guys mean oil pressure sender, not temp, right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.