Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Make-over
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine arrived today and as I flipped through it I noticed a brief mention of Automobile Atlanta doing an"extreme make-over" to build a "2004-model year" 914. They've got 8 "weekends" of the project posted so far. I didn't read it carefully, but I didn't see anything all that special going on. There are lots of pictures of what they're doing.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/service/914make...over-intro.html

I don't know why the 3 dots keep being inserted into the above url. If you click on it, it works, but if you type it in with those 3 dots it won't work.
ThinAir
What's up with this forum? I type in a subject and a message and it get's changed by someone else to be something I didn't mean it to be? Are the admins playing games? I am not amused! chair.gif It is not OT and I did not put the (hhehehehe) into the subject.

I shared it with the group for whatever it's worth, not as an endorsement of AA or the project. I expect readers to poke fun of it (like most things AA does), but I also expect my message to be MY message.
Brad Roberts
um.. who changed it ?

B
Brad Roberts
Big deal (about the car) we built a complete car in what .. 16 hours ?? (Jenny's) stripped two tubs and built one completely from bare tub to complete runner/driver.

If you have money/parts it can be built in 10 days.

B
Rusty
I did... and was only messing around. Sorry, Ernie. sad.gif
4WheelDrifter
Ernie, any 914 info is good info. smile.gif

Speaking of things that get changed around here, everytime you type "Bradholio", this board adds "holio" to it. wacko.gif

See? lol2.gif
dflesburg
As the years go by I become less and less impressed with Automobile Atlanta.

George has always treated me right when I deal with him but some of the other people there have shipped me junk when they promised OEM new parts.

Plus I have been working on my car for almost 12 years. Now that's something to see... lol
DuckRyder
I think if you can go there and deal with george you are fine. Not sure I would order long distance after some of the stories.

I had a long talk with george one day when I was in. He really does know alot about 914s and loves them, deep down he's just a guy trying to make money at his hobby.

I think his help gets him a bad rep sometimes. It really is hard to get good help.

That is my two cents any how.
davep
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Apr 19 2004, 09:46 PM)
I don't know why the 3 dots keep being inserted into the above url. If you click on it, it works, but if you type it in with those 3 dots it won't work.

Those 3 dots indicate the URL was contracted to a shorter length to display. The correct URL is still there so it works. Typing in the contracted version means it will be missing something, and cannot work. In netscape the full URL shows up in the bottom bar when the mouse pointer is over the link.
3liter914-6
Wow. The PO traded a rusty, but reasonable '76 + $14,000 for an AA '74 914 2.0. That's nuts. They don't sell on consignment down there, do they? I've got a clean '74 2.0 I'd love to get $14,000 for, no trade in necessary (unless you're trading the last /6 GT found in an abandoned warehouse).
aircooledboy
Anybody else notice that apparently they were trying to sell that rusty hunk of shit for $3950 before it became the "extreme 914" candidate. In one of the early pics showing the flares being added, it is on the lift and still has 3950 on the windshield. THIRTY NINE FREAKIN' FITY???????????? stfu.gif

Damn, my car must be worth about 30 grand then.
aircooledboy
Sorry, that should have said "non-running rusty hunk of shit."
Scott S
Great - I can see it now - a rusty pos with a "9014" body kit glued to it....

Really - what keeps that guy in business? I don't get it. Are there really that many people out there that have our little cars that dont have internet access? there isn't a 914 board on the planet that doesn't trash the guy.
DuckRyder
QUOTE(3liter914-6 @ Apr 20 2004, 10:27 AM)
Wow. The PO traded a rusty, but reasonable '76 + $14,000 for an AA '74 914 2.0. That's nuts. They don't sell on consignment down there, do they? I've got a clean '74 2.0 I'd love to get $14,000 for, no trade in necessary (unless you're trading the last /6 GT found in an abandoned warehouse).

yeah he does sell on consignment
ThinAir
QUOTE(LB (otherwise known as Rusty) @ Apr 20 2004, 03:31 AM)
I did... and was only messing around.  Sorry, Ernie.  :(

Apology accepted. I'm glad (no joke about this) that you have time to fool around with stuff like this considering where you are. It just struck a real nerve with me because the right to express yourself without fear of someone else (ie government) changing your message is so basic. In fact it's one of the reason's I figure you are in Iraq.

Ok, enough about that! On to AA...

I don't buy anything from AA except stuff that I absolutely cannot find anywhere else (like injector elbow hoses). I've heard too much over the years about how they do business from people who have been burned and I don't like their attitude in general - that they are doing you a favor by being willing to accept your business. Then there's the way everything get's phrased like it's marketing - just the intro to this series is enough to make me sick and/or roll on the floor laughing myself silly.

Still, I'll give AA this much - when I bought my 914 back in 1990 they were the only resource that I could find. This forum didn't exist, I don't think Rennlist or Pelican Parts existed either. The best resource I had for 914 info was the old AA newsprint catalog with the exploded parts diagrams. Between that and their 914 tips book I learned a lot. Maybe they weren't all that great back then either and it wasn't obvious, but mostly it just seems like an organization that lost its way as it became successfull.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.