Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What rear brake set-up do I have....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NC_Colfax
Looks like I am need some replacement parts as I start the resto on my 1973.
The P.O did a 5 lug rear conversion but I don't know what parts he used. I want to get replacment pads and rotors. I may even have the calipers redone.I am not feeling the red paint job.

Here are a few pics...
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Caliper reads ATE 13

Also I had no clue if the Fuchs on my car were real so with the current thread I pulled them off the check....

IPB Image
IPB Image

Best I can read the Part # 901 361 012 06
Which by the listing in the other thread shows it to be a "real" deep six.
Can someone explain the difference between the flat and deep styles??
Is one better than the other or worth more??

Thanks...this forum has been a great resource
McMark
Stock rear brakes. Nothing upgraded, just redrilled for 5 lug. It's a perfectly fine way to make the swap. Just order parts like any other 1973 914/4.
NC_Colfax
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 17 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Stock rear brakes. Nothing upgraded, just redrilled for 5 lug. It's a perfectly fine way to make the swap. Just order parts like any other 1973 914/4.

You know I should have noticed that....

Could I use 914-6 rotors instead of re-drilling -4 stuff??
McMark
Yes, if you've got $ to burn. 914/4 rotors are about $50 + machining. 914/6 rotors are about $100 each.
sixnotfour
901 361 012 06

worth more
veltror
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 18 2010, 04:03 AM) *

Yes, if you've got $ to burn. 914/4 rotors are about $50 + machining. 914/6 rotors are about $100 each.

But does that not mean that the disc needs to have 5mm taken off it? Something Eric said... confused24.gif
jaxdream
No to the 5mm removal,that's not the case you have . The PO did a redrill of the -4 rotors , like McMark said , you get -4 rotors as any other 73 ( rear ) and have a machine shop redrill for the 5 on 130mm bolt circle, standard 73-4 calipers are what you have , plenty adequate for a -4 braking purposes or you can hunt down the -6 5 lug rotors and spend the money that way , may not be cheaper . Perform a brake job on the rear as usual with a 4 lug setup. Show some pics of the hubs with the rotors off , that will tell you if the -4 hubs were redrilled , studed ( some differing ways to do that ) or if you have 911 hubs installed, nice set of wheels there , may be worth hanging onto , check the different wheel threads ( search is your friend ) to inform you of the differences of the 911 Fuchs .Good luck ....

Jack / Jaxdream
veltror
hmm i have the 914/6 discs so do I have to turn these down 5mm sorry for hijacking this thread
McMark
The 5mm thing is for upgrading your stock rear calipers for vented rotors. You need to do nothing, IIRC.
JRust
Deep sixes are definately worth more. Very close to the 5-lug Mahle Gas burners in value. Bonus to have them on your car for sure.
Eric_Shea
If he buys 914-6 rotors he should have them shaved. Only a couple mm thought, not 5mm. And it's the edge so, diameter (I believe that would be a total of 4mm off the diameter).

I agree with McMarky... 914-4 rotors should be less expensive even with the extra machine work needed and, the mounting screws should match the hub (if the 5-lug was indexed properly without removing the mounting holes).
NC_Colfax
Hey thanks for the replies.

Looks like I am going to order a set of 914-4 rotors
I work in a machine shop so the CNC Trac Mill should have not problem with the 5x130mm pattern.

I was very happy to find out I had real Fuchs wheels. After all the BS I found on this car it is just good to know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.