Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20 YO dream coming true today.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
4WheelDrifter
Some here already know I'm getting a 914 today. Less know how long I've wanted one, 20 years.

I was 14 at the time I got turned onto Porsches buy a customer at a variety store/coffee shop I woked at back then. For some reason I latched onto the 914, maybe because it was the under dog, maybe something else.

When I was 17, I picked up a rotted 72 1.7 cheap and started to fix it but the rust was beyond my budget and abilities so I let it go.

Things happened since that, one way or another, prevented me from buying a 914. No place to put it, no money to buy one, or my Motorcycle fascination but the want of a 914 never went away.

Fast forward and it's March 29th, 2004. I'm riding my motorcycle home from running arrands and enjoying a nice spring day. Riding along the little lakes in the area seemd like a good way to get home (Twisty roads that rise and fall are a favorite). As I crest a sharp rise, a car was pulling out from a dirt area on the other side, blocking my path. With only a second to react I hit the brakes and headed towards the shoulder to avoid the car. Missed the car but hit the wonderful sand they use when it snows and down I went.

To make this story a bit shorter, I ended up with a totalled bike and a badly dislocated thumb. Yes, it could have been much worse if i wasn't wearing full riding gear. The leather suit was toast and the helmet took 2 hits to the asphalt (with my head inside). I was lucky. So after riding 15 years and 125,000 miles later, I'm taking a little break from riding. I do have another bike sitting in the garage but it needs some carb work and fork seals but I'll let that sit for a bit longer.

So with the money from the totalled bike, suit and helmet, I'm buying a 914 and I'm getting it today. Last night felt like Christmas eve and I was 6 years old again. Had trouble getting to sleep and I was up much earlier than normal this A.M. The weather is good, the insurance for the car is set, All I need is the car and a trip to the DMV and my 20 year old dream will finally be a reality. I feel pretty damn good. clap56.gif
Part Pricer
Bravo! clap56.gif

Now, you just need to deal with the Connecticut DMV. A couple of tips:

1. Don't go to register the car until you are pretty certain that the car will pass the required safety inspection. Check the lenses, emergency brake, etc. This is important since once you apply for your temp registration, you only have 30 days to get the car through safety inspection. 30 days can go by real fast if you need to get a hard to find part.

2. When you do go to get the temporary registration, pay the fee for the safety inspection at the same time. This will keep you from having to return to pay the fee and set up an appointment. Less time spent at the DMV is more gooder.

3. In Connecicut, you only need a bill of sale to register the car. Since it is a 30-year-old car, they will most likely base the tax that you pay on the bill of sale. If you have a good relationship with the seller, ask him to give you two seperate bills of sale. The first bill of sale should be for the car alone and should be for a minimal amount. The second bill of sale should be for the "parts" that you purchased with the car. The two bill of sale will document the total amount that was paid by you for the total transaction. You then only present the bill of sale for the car alone when you go to register it and you should be taxed on that amount. No one will question a $300 bill for a 30-year-old "project" car.

Good luck. If you need any help, I'm just down the road in Redding.
ChrisFoley
Paul,
CT abandoned their safety inspection program a few years ago. Have they reinstated it already?

4WheelDrifter,
Sorry to hear it took such a painful experience to motivate you. At least with a 914 you're less likely to fall over in sand. Welcome to the club!
beerchug.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 20 2004, 06:35 AM)
Paul,
CT abandoned their safety inspection program a few years ago. Have they reinstated it already?

It was in place two years ago. I don't know if it was abandoned since then, or if your memory goes back further.

smile.gif
ChrisFoley
A friend registered a 240Z with no inspection last year.
4WheelDrifter
Thanks guys!

Chris, I called you last week about the car and a possible resto this winter. We talked (more like you talked lol2.gif) for about 15 minutes. I checked out William Harris' car thread and the work you performed. Thanks for all the info.

Yes, the safety inspection is dead though they do random inspections, or so they say. Everything works though, even the horn. cool.gif
joea9146
Good Luck with the new car.... you will have to post some pictures
rick 918-S
Great Story! smilie_pokal.gif Good Luck! aktion035.gif driving.gif
tdgray
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry had to do it. Good story though.
DuckRyder
QUOTE(tdgray @ Apr 20 2004, 09:38 AM)
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Congrats on the new car.

Glad you made it through the bike accident without really major injuries. Gear rules wub.gif

Be sure to show us the new aquisition.
4WheelDrifter
These are the pics I took when I first lookedat the car. The car is a 20, maybe a 15 footer. I'd like to restore it this winter, drive it for the summer though.
Gint
Congrats!

He already posted a pic in the Members 914 pictures thread.
4WheelDrifter
Another. I made it a bit smaller this time.

EDIT: ginter, the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola..., yes I did. I should have just linked there. oh well.
seanery
those look like some big & fat tires. what size are those puppies?
Mueller
nice car....best looking rims to come on a 914 in my opinion wink.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(4WheelDrifter @ Apr 20 2004, 04:32 AM)
Everything works though, even the horn.  B)

Bet the clock don't.... laugh.gif

Bet the 710 gauge will drive ya nutz.... unsure.gif

BTW....nice ride.... pray.gif
d7n7master
Welcome aboard!!! Nice lookin' ride!!!
I too came to own my 914 after a motorcycle accident caused me to re-think street riding. Believe it or not, I got center punched by a wheel and tire that came off of a truck traveling on the "other" side of the freeway. No center divider... I was in traffic and had noway to avoid the sucker. I braced against the impact and next thing I knew I was sliding down the freeway on my butt and shoulders.
Needless to say my RD350 was totalled. When I got out of the hospital and got my insurance money I was looking in the recycler for a new bike when my wife went ballistic. So I said, honey if I can't have another bike, I have to have something fun to drive.
Then I remembered that my buddy had a black '70 914 in the mid-'80's. I had driven it up to Big Bear Mountain and once I stopped nicking 2nd gear I had a blast. It dawned on me - this is my opportunity. That was 4 years ago and although I miss my bike, I could NEVER be without my teener.
Enjoy & keep smilin' biggrin.gif
Mueller
So I said, honey if I can't have another bike, I have to have something fun to drive.

that is so funny...before I got my 1st 914 I was in the market for an ZX11, i just couldn't decide on Burgandy or Black...anyways, someone offered me a 914 for free (needed a lot of work)....my wife, (girlfriend at the time) said no way, i don't need that POS, so I told her I tow this 914 home or I go order my ZX11 next week....I've been on a bike twice in the last 7 years, don't miss it as much as I thought I would........
STL914
Good looking car and great story. It seems like fate was on your side, keeping you safe and giving you the chance to fullfil your dream.

Back in 1997, I came home for lunch to find my house on fire. Luckily, no one was home or hurt, although we lost our dog and my wife's 18 birds she was raising.

After the six month long ordeal to get our lives back in order, I took some of our insurance settlement and bought my first 914. Like you, something I had wanted since I was 20.

Life is too short not to experience it to your best ability.

Out of curiousity, what color is your new car and where exactly is Bethal? I spent 16 months working in Farmington
and fell in love with the area.
Chris H.
Congrats to you! Welcome to the party. Looks like you found a nice one. Keep us posted!
mikeatrpi
Bethel? I'm not too far away- just over the border in NY. My Mazda came from Bethel. Great story, enjoy the car. I'm still looking for my first 914...
anthony
My 914 story is similar. I've always loved sports cars but I got turned on to the 914 because my uncle had two, a '72, and then a '74 2.0L. I still regret not buying his '74 2L when he sold it. It was still in showroom (yes showroom) mint condition with 67K miles as of about 12 years ago. He offered it to me for $8K at the time and since I was barely out of college it was a huge amount of money. Fast forward to two years ago, it finally dawned on me that I could easily afford a 914. As a result of my first post to Rennlist, I found my beautiful silver car. The more time that goes by I realize more and what a huge stroke of luck that was. It's harder and harder to find really nice original cars.
4WheelDrifter
Thanks a lot for the good words and your stories. I like hearing about how people aquired their cars. Keep 'em coming.

Nobody pushed me not to buy another bike though but many liked my choice, others didn't (my riding buddies). I still have my old Suzuki 400 in the garage so I'm not bikeless, it just needs some carb work and fork seals to be road ready. My left thumb won't be strong enough to handle riding until at least July but I'm not going to push it since I'm left handed. I'll wait until next season to reconsider riding again. If I don't ride again, I'll just drain all the fluids and park my 400 in my living room. lol2.gif It's great to be single. cool_shades.gif

QUOTE (4WheelDrifter @ Apr 20 2004, 04:32 AM)
Everything works though, even the horn. cool.gif

mikez: "Bet the clock don't.... "

Oh yes it does! clap56.gif The odometer doesn't though, no big surprise there.

STL, Bethel is next to Danbury. Sroll up to the beginning of the thread to see pics. It's wine or Maroon but will repaint to that lime green color, Don't know the real color name.

mikeatrpi, when you get one, give me a PM or Email. Or if you want to go for a spin in mine sometime. I always wished someone would offer me a ride in a 914 when I didn't have one.
4WheelDrifter
Found out yesterday, the odometer works too! Thought the PO said it didn't work so I didn't check until yesterday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.