Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumped all my oil after unhitching from MUSR!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass

Got home from Vonore tonight after a 10.5 hour drive. Disconnected 914 from tow bar and reconnected battery so I could pull it into the garage in all its dragon dirty glory.

So I start it up, put it in reverse, stop and shift into first when I see a big ugly dark puddle reflecting my headlights. Glance down and see unfriendly greenly lit oil light. Shut it off sitting perpendicular in the middle of the street (better than that ditch on the Dragon!) and get mom and dad and wife to push it uphill into the garage.

Didn't do much after that other than dump cat litter all over the puddles in the street. Still riding the MUSR high and don't feel like sweating it.. yet..

Wonder what happened. So glad it didn't happen during the event!

jcambo7
Man that sucks! I hope you fix it soon.
rick 918-S
Sounds like a galley plug popped out.
brant
I'm going to guess galley plugs also...
your oil pressure was high (cold).. and just enough to pop it.

poorsche914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 17 2010, 11:27 PM) *
Got home from Vonore tonight after a 10.5 hour drive.

Glad to see you got home safe and sound. Nice meeting you.
Mark Henry
If it is a galley plug you can tap and plug it if you are careful.
Go slow, clean often, grease your drill bit/tap and clean out the finished hole throughly.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I* agree. Thankfully it did not happen while at the event!!!! I could not have helped fix that one while on route!!!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 17 2010, 09:19 PM) *

Sounds like a galley plug popped out.

BigDBass
Thanks.

Galley plug, huh? Don't know much about that. Yuck. Sounds expensive and slow.

Looked under the car this morning before work and it seems it was coming from towards front of the engine.

Maybe it's um a sensor (oil temp or pressure?) or the filter or something that sounds less bad to me.
Rand
Search the ground where it happened. I'm betting one of these is laying there somewhere.
IPB Image

My car dropped one while it was sitting in the garage.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90383
There's some good info in the replies on that thread.
BigDBass
I did look around this morning but didn't find anything. Lotsa leaves and crap tho, so I will take a closer look when I get home.

Probably will have to send it off to Brad Mayeur if it is a galley plug. Not sufficiently equipped or skilled to tackle that.
qa1142
I had Brad seal all of mine when he rebuilt my motor

Sorry to hear your pain

Will
BigDBass
Just spoke to the wonderful Brad Mayeur.

(I thanked him on behalf of all MUSR attendees for his contributions. He was sorry to have been unable to attend himself.)

Brad agreed that large volume of oil in a short time suggests galley plug. He told me to check a few things before (bringing the car to him) dropping the motor:
- Oil pressure light sensor. Has seen them "blow up"
- Oil filter O-ring
- Relief valve on oil filter stand

I'll try to check those out. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be an easy fix?! (Doubt it biggrin.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.