Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tire choices for street 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
willamp
I just recently got back into a 914, '73 2.0 and am dealing with the small selection of tire choices we have with stock 5.5x15 wheels. I just put on 195/60-15 Goodyear Eagle GTs which handle well but I don't really like the way they look. I have OEM 4-lug Fuchs and the tires just look too wide for the wheels to me.

Is there anyone running 165R15 Michelin XZX, or 185/70-15 Vredestein Sprint Classics that would be willing to share their opinion on whether they like them or not? If there is some other tire narrower than 195 that someone likes, that would be helpful too.

I'm just looking for decent performing street tires with high speed stability and enough stick to not end up in a ditch.

Thanks in advance

Phil
Drums66
....Pirelli..Dunlop..also the 1's you have on it confused24.gif
poke.gif bye1.gif
pilothyer
What is your plan for those "old" GY Eagle GT's when you pull off ?
Tom_T
welcome.png ..... & welcome back to 914s! smile.gif

Go to the Originality & History Forums, at the Wheels & Tires nailed topic, and there is a lengthy discussion there about this dilemma, which I share with you & others in restoring my 72 2L.

OE factory stock tires on the 2.0's were 165HR15 Tubeless Radials from Michelin, Continental, Semperit & the infamous Dunlop SP57s (I maybe forgetting one with my half-zymers - as well as Vredesteins in Europe).

In short - the HR & SR were the only 2 speed rating available back-in-the-day, & was too low for the 2.0's 120+ mph, but fine for the 1.7's lower speed (SR was spec'd for 1.7s). Back in the early 80's when mine was my DD I had to "settle" for 165SR15 Kleber when the other HR tire sources stopped producing 165s (my fav were the Semperit 201/401 series 165HR15 - about as sticky as the SP57s but would go 30-40k instead of 10-20k).

IIRC - the Michelin XZX 165 is tubeless but only SR & the XAS is HR but tube type - which I was always told don't work well on tubeless rims/wheels (all 914 wheels are "J" type - tubeless, including Fuchs 2Ls). XAS will set you back about $250 each with tubes - IIRC.

Vred. makes a tubeless Sprint Classic (Plus?) in 165HR15 - which look to me more like the old 60s-70s Brit car tread pattern, but I have no idea of how well/poorly they handle. They do look period correct & run only about $105 each (no tubes needed).

Pirelli is rumored to be bringing back one of their classic 165HR15 tubeless tires to be made in Ireland. But perhaps the bad economy has that on hold because I never heard anything more, & they were supposed to come out this year.

Another option some folks are using on vintage 911/912/914 cars in our local Porsche Club are the Bridgestone & other makers' Tubeless 165/80TR15 (the "80" section width is implied for the earlier tire sizes noted above) - with the TR going to about 118 mph IIRC. These tend to be in the $50-100+/- each range from several mfgrs., as are available for the 195/65s below.

FYI - go to most tire makers' websites & they'll have lists for speed ratings, how to read the new sidewall markings, & other good tire info.

Also in the vintage tire category are the tubeless 185/70VR15 Michelin XWX tires good to 149 mph IIRC - as used back-in-the-day with the M471 & some other factory 914 tire/wheel upgrade packages (& from dealers then as well), which was a very sticky tire that looked good, period correct & had a minimal speedo error (about 0.9% IIRC - see 914 info & tire calculator at this page above for actual calcs to any size). However, the currently available ones will run you $407+/- each - yowzer!!!! blink.gif

In 1988 or so Porsche issued an advisory letter when any 165R15s generally became unaobtanium, to use Tubeless 195/65HR15 - with steering buffers to prevent wheel well rubbing - although many on here swear that they don't rub without buffers. There are several mfgrs. providing these tires today in the $50-100+/- each range, but they may still look too big to you, as they're only a bit taller & narrower than the 195/60's you're running. BTW - these are about 2x the 185/75 error at 1.6% & your 195/60's are more - so either way the odometer will show more miles than actually on your 914, which is a consideration for many collectors of classic/vintage cars.

Unfortuately that PAG letter noted above is in German, for which perhaps a German speaker on here could provide a translation at the O&H thread - hint, hint smile.gif - letter copy is at that O&H tires thread.

Any Germanic assistance would be greatly appreciated by all on 914world I'm sure - pray.gif - since the online translators generally suck & give you 50% gibberish! dry.gif

I'd suggest that you first look at the O&H tires/wheels thread, then call Lucas Tires in Long Beach CA & talk to Bob Montgomery (?? - half-zymers again! dry.gif ) to talk about tire options, & use the tire size calculator on here to check odometer error effects of those. Lucas & their Brit counterpart Longstone also list many of the tire options online, most of which Lucas can get from the latter for you here in the States.

Happy hunting & hold onto your wallet if you want period correct! blink.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stugray
I used to run Eagle GTs back in the early 90s and they were frickin awesome!

The "New version" is on sale right now for $89 ea. that is a steal!
I might go get a set for myself!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ku=09587043000P

Sorry, didnt read that you didnt like the GTs.....I wonder if it is the new compound?

Stu
GeorgeRud
Ah, it's great to remember the old days of Kleber and Semperit tires. I went through a few sets back in the 70s autocrossing every weekend!

willamp
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 18 2010, 01:58 PM) *

What is your plan for those "old" GY Eagle GT's when you pull off ?

My plan would be to sell them if I replace them. I'll post them on the for sale forum when the time comes.
willamp
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 18 2010, 03:46 PM) *

I used to run Eagle GTs back in the early 90s and they were frickin awesome!

The "New version" is on sale right now for $89 ea. that is a steal!
I might go get a set for myself!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ku=09587043000P

Sorry, didnt read that you didnt like the GTs.....I wonder if it is the new compound?

Stu

The GTs are great performance wise, just look too wide for the wheels.
StratPlayer
I just put new Eagle GT's on my car,,, I love em I think they look great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.