Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No use, is abuse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
I have concluded that I have a clogged jet, have added stablizer to fuel. What are the chances of clearing this snot from the carb with carb cleaner? I have a book on Weber Carbs, but I am in not hurry to spread parts out! 44 IDF carbs on 2L eng, ran great a yr ago! If I do need to pull carb, do I need a full rebuild kit? From where? razorbobsr@aol.com
SirAndy
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Oct 18 2010, 07:13 AM) *

I have concluded that I have a clogged jet, have added stablizer to fuel. What are the chances of clearing this snot from the carb with carb cleaner? I have a book on Weber Carbs, but I am in not hurry to spread parts out! 44 IDF carbs on 2L eng, ran great a yr ago! If I do need to pull carb, do I need a full rebuild kit? From where? razorbobsr@aol.com

Just take out the jets and blow them out with air or carb cleaner. A clogged yet does not warrant a rebuild ...

44's seem a bit large for a 2.0L
popcorn[1].gif
Elliot Cannon
Pull the idle jets. Use a magnifying glass to see if they are clogged. If they are, you can clean them out by just blowing into them. If that doesn't work, use compressed air. Always check the easiest thing first when troubleshooting. IMHO, the idle jets are the easiest thing to check and they can be checked without taking the carbs. apart or even removing them. Be careful not to lose the tiny "O" ring when removing the jets. I carry spare "O" rings in my travel tool box. If the engine accelerates OK but runs rough when you let off the gas to run at a constant speed, it's probably the idle jets. I'm not exactly a Weber expert but I've had this problem in the past. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Elliot
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2010, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Oct 18 2010, 07:13 AM) *

Just take out the jets and blow them out with air or carb cleaner. A clogged yet does not warrant a rebuild ...

44's seem a bit large for a 2.0L
popcorn[1].gif.... Could be smaller?? 4??? Engine not stock/not race either. Bob

Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 18 2010, 02:10 PM) *

Pull the idle jets. Use a magnifying glass to see if they are clogged. If they are, you can clean them out by just blowing into them. If that doesn't work, use compressed air. Always check the easiest thing first when troubleshooting. IMHO, the idle jets are the easiest thing to check and they can be checked without taking the carbs. apart or even removing them. Be careful not to lose the tiny "O" ring when removing the jets. I carry spare "O" rings in my travel tool box. If the engine accelerates OK but runs rough when you let off the gas to run at a constant speed, it's probably the idle jets. I'm not exactly a Weber expert but I've had this problem in the past. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Elliot
>>> What you describe, is just how mine behaves!!!! Where do I get the O rings? Bob
JmuRiz
Mine acts the same way, haven't gotten around to removing/cleaning the jets yet
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 18 2010, 02:10 PM) *

Cheers, Elliot

Why would a clogged idle jet make constant speed/rpm miss-fires? Bob
r_towle
If your down for the winter...call Art Thraen.
www.aircooledengineering.com

Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Oct 18 2010, 06:37 PM) *

Why would a clogged idle jet make constant speed/rpm miss-fires? Bob

The idle circuit is responsible for most of the fuel at light/moderate throttle.
Elliot Cannon
These guys also sell a device called the "jet doctor" that helps keep dirt out of the idle jets. You can also get the "O" rings from them or just about anyone who sells Weber carb. stuff. 44 idf carbs are not too big for a 2.0. You can change the size of the venturies, the air, main and idle jets to a combination that works for you. It may take some experimenting but all those parts aren't too expensive and are easy to change without removing the carbs from the car.
http://cbperformance.com

Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.