Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Flapper Box Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
curt914
Hi Folks

I'm getting ready to put all the heating stuff back into my ‘73 2.0. Got a box full of this stuff.

But first, I’m going to get the J tubes, heater control valves (aka flapper boxes) and other metal tubes and bits powder coated.

Here’s the thing though. In this box of stuff, I have three heater control valves, two of which are in pretty good shape.

But it seems there is a difference in left to right heater control valves.

Both Pelican and AA have different numbers for the left to right.

With them sitting on the bench I don’t see any difference in any of them. That may mean the ones I'm looking at on the bench are all from one side.

So .. what’s the difference between them…left to right.

Thanks much.

Curt
shoguneagle
Major difference is the arms and valve pull different ways. When you pull up on the heater lever in the cockpit, the valves have to pull in different directions to open/close.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Oct 18 2010, 12:41 PM) *

Major difference is the arms and valve pull different ways. When you pull up on the heater lever in the cockpit, the valves have to pull in different directions to open/close.

Yup, they're a mirror image of each other so both levers pull toward the center of the car.
914werke
Installed both the lever arms will be on the Top (or bottom I forget which)
they are mirror opposites. If the 3 you have are all the same you need to sell or trade 1 or 2 for the correct one.
As to Powder coating them, I wouldn't. If you look inside one youll see they have a material bonded to the "flap" to seal the valve that probably shouldnt be coated.
kphimself
Here is a picture of mine, can't remember which one is which but they open differently.
curt914
Ah Bummer.....

I was afraid you guys were going to say that.

Mirrored imaged, I dont think mine are.

I will have to take another look.

Best laid plans......

Thanks guys

Curt

realred914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 18 2010, 09:45 AM) *

Installed both the lever arms will be on the Top (or bottom I forget which)
they are mirror opposites. If the 3 you have are all the same you need to sell or trade 1 or 2 for the correct one.
As to Powder coating them, I wouldn't. If you look inside one youll see they have a material bonded to the "flap" to seal the valve that probably shouldnt be coated.

my assumption he material is an aspestos material, just a hunch, so when i worked on mine, I painted the material inside with thick coats of high heat paint, to prevent the fibers from getting loose. seems to have worked over the years in keeping the fibers in place, I used hihg heat BBQ paint (muffler paint) regular engine paint can be used on many of the parts including the vlaves and the pipe that connects them to the exchangers, however over time the valve and pipe did get hot enough to slightly discolor after many years.

I have riged a right side to run on the left, but it is all backwards looking and required a cable extension. you will surely be able to find the correct side , that will be the best bet.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
206 is the right and 205 is the left if you put the lever on the top, the bell cap faces to the left and the outlet to the right, makes it the right passenger side.

QUOTE(curt914 @ Oct 18 2010, 09:56 AM) *

Ah Bummer.....

I was afraid you guys were going to say that.

Mirrored imaged, I dont think mine are.

I will have to take another look.

Best laid plans......

Thanks guys

Curt

DRPHIL914
Curt,

I just got done doing this, after replacing my 2.0 -75 stuff with backdated 74 s.s.h.e's. the flapper boxes cleaned up easy, just use rustoleum rust remover and rust primer- then final coat, cost much less that powdercoating.I did this on my tubes and the flapper boxes. A few hours of cleaning, polishing and primer and paint, took less than an hour to get them back in place, but then i found out the 75 cables are shorter than those needed for the 74's ! headbang.gif by about a half-inch! you should not have that problem. Also the fit is very tight, so dont paint up to the edges, or they will not slide together easily- im refering to the vertical j-tube and the s tube- ask me how i know- confused24.gif

but all is worth it, now i have more heat than i need! smoke.gif

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.