Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby Swap Getting No Spark
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpg5553
I Put a 95 wrx ej20g turbo (JDM) in my teener and not getting any spark. Got the
motor along with the engine wiring harness and ecu togeather. Found a wiring diagram on the NASIOC web site and made up my own wiring harness. I know the crank and cam sensors can cause problems but is there any other sensors, etc. that can cause a no spark condition. As it is OBD1 I would think it does not require as much to get it going. Anyone else run into this? Heading out tomorrow for a new ignitor and going to wire it up for wasted spark and see if that makes a
difference. sad.gif
rpg5553
Did the following today and still not getting any spark. Swapped out the cam and crank sensors. Also switched over from COP to wasted spark as well as replaced the igniters. I have heard about a diode which is supposed to be in the harness.
Has anyone heard about it and where does it go. I have been tracing wires and
checking my connections but still no luck. Also checked all my grounds and they
seem to be ok. Anyone have any experience building there own harness and run
into this problem?
Thanks
BIGKAT_83
Do you have the 12v on all pins on the ecu that need to be powered up.
Does the ecu power up the fuel pump relay when you try to start it?
Do you have the 12v power on the igniter. If you do then look at the signals for the spark from the computer.
I just got thru with a subaru megasquirt on my eg33 conversion. I used the megasquirt after burning up half of my cops and igniter with a wiring error on the stock ecu.
I really don't think that you have any hardware problems with the VR sensors.

Are you asking the same ???? on the Subaru sites
pktzygt
Sorry, this won't be of much or any help, but keep posting and someone on here will get to you eventually. This swap gets done on VW forums sometimes too.

I will be going the Stinger EMS route with my '96 ej20g swap.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

bigvag
I don't know about subys but when I built my dsm, I wasn't getting spark and it turned out it was a ground wire that wasn't grounded.
rpg5553
Thanks for the reply's. I have the motor turning over and fuel pump running. Have been verifying my wiring at the ecu and also my grounds. I ran power from the 914 relay board for the Suby ecu. Put in four 20 amp fuses just in case. Have been checking my power at the ecu pins and they look ok. Will be looking at all my connections again tomorrow. Wondering if possibly getting a bad signal which
is causing my problems. I was thinking maybe someone else has created their own wiring harness and ran across this problem and had some sort of resolution
like a diode or resister.
Will keep posting my progress.
Thanks again for the reply's. biggrin.gif

Mike Bellis
There is a guy here or on 914club that makes adapter harnesses for the subie. Forget what his name is. I suspect a wiring problem and suggest you go through every wire again. That is unless you fried the ECU...
BIGKAT_83
I have ECU at home for the same year engine (JDM) as yours. It does not belong to me but I'm sure the owner would not mind if you tried it. He is using a stinger aftermarket ECU.
I also live in Athens right off of 316 about 25 miles from Buford. I'll be home from N.Dakota on Thursday.

PM me if you need it...

Bob
d914
ohsure give my stuff away!!! COOL...hope it helps!! I have a bin of extra wiring if you need anything else!!
rpg5553
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 20 2010, 03:30 AM) *

I have ECU at home for the same year engine (JDM) as yours. It does not belong to me but I'm sure the owner would not mind if you tried it. He is using a stinger aftermarket ECU.
I also live in Athens right off of 316 about 25 miles from Buford. I'll be home from N.Dakota on Thursday.

PM me if you need it...

Bob

Bob, May have met you in Athens years ago. I had the blue teener out of Buford.
Thanks for the offer. I am going to double check my wiring agin. One of the posts said verify power to ignitor. The ignitors i am running do not have a power outlet. May be my problem. Will see rolleyes.gif
rpg5553
Ignitor needs power? May be my problem as I have power to ecu and coil.
I am using two ignitors that I found which have no power outlet. They came off 95
Impreza think ej22. I just wired them up with two in, two out and ground for wasted spark. They were the same ones I tried for the original COP .
Looked at the vanagon Suby diagram and it shows a wire for power if turbo.
Can someone verify I need power to the ignitor if so i'll head out to my friendly suby dealer or parts store.
Thanks blink.gif blink.gif
rpg5553
Got spark now after replacing the igniter. The plugs are dry so now have a fuel issue. Throwing a code of air flow meter so will be replacing that tomorrow.
Whatever happened to points, plugs, condenser and coil, mechanical fuel pump and off you go!
Now got a rats nest in the trunk for wiring for all the stuff I may/may not need. Will be working on the fuel issue tomorrow. Only lack exhaust system and gauges when I get it running to put it on the road.
Getting close.
Thanks again for the replys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.