Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2-way radios
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
At MUSR there were people using hand held 2-way radios. I would definitely have picked one up prior to the event had I known. Are there standard channels used by different manufacturers? Any particular recommendations or considerations or features to look for in these radios?
Elliot Cannon
Those radios are fine if you are close to the person you want to talk to. I was on a Porsche tour in Germany a few years ago and they gave us all 2 way radios and spent a bit of time instructing how to use them but they turned out to be useless because everyone got so seperated.
Cheers, Elliot
RFoulds
Most use what is called the Family Band, or Family Radio Service. You can choose between those, which are just highly improved walkie-talkies, or a VHF band radio, which is much better and much more expensive.

I use a Motorola FRS with an in-helmet mic and earpiece for on track, and my wife and son have the Motoral handheld back in the paddock. Added bonus to the Motorola one is that it has 2 inputs on it, so I can plug in a second headset that is actually wired to my in car camera, recording my 2 way comm while on track too.

But for just 2 way radio, any family band or FRS radio will do nicely.
VaccaRabite
I have used FRS radios in the past. Its a LOS only radio, so if you can't see the other vehicles, chances are they can't hear you call.

Zach
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 19 2010, 01:29 PM) *

At MUSR there were people using hand held 2-way radios. I would definitely have picked one up prior to the event had I known. Are there standard channels used by different manufacturers? Any particular recommendations or considerations or features to look for in these radios?

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 29 2010, 03:26 PM)
If we bring our own radio, what walkie talkie let's talk channel (s) do we need on the radio ? Are they universal?

Most are universal. I have Cobras and motorola. I am glad you mentioned this Bill. If anyone wants to bring radios, walkie talkies, if makes it easier to keep everyone informed and nobody gets lost when they get hung at a redlight, even though I didn't see any redlights out there.

You must not have been paying attention in class. Check posts 292 and 293 of the original registration thread. slap.gif
Lennies914
I bought some motorolas (I don't recall the model) with a 25 mile range. We monitor chanel 9-14 of course. biggrin.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Oct 19 2010, 09:11 PM) *
Check posts 292 and 293 of the original registration thread. slap.gif

Thanks. confused24.gif Yeah, I missed the info in such an obvious location. How silly of me to think it could be on the event site! biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.