Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do these really fit 914s?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
Do these lights really fit properly in our 914s? My /6 came with a broken original and one which looked like the linked eBay ad. It didn't seem to fit quite right. Am I correct in assuming the current stuff for sale is also not OPC (originality purist correct), maybe the wrong color switch or missing a silver color stripe or something?

Thx,

Skip
bdstone914
Its the closest piece to original that they still make new. It has the wrong color switch, Its missing the chrome on the bezel, the curve of the light is also slightly different then that of the OEM light giving it that look like its always going to pop out.
Tom_T
Skip - look in the O&H Forum under "The few, the rare...." nailed topic, and yu can see some good pix of Steve G's Sahara Biege 73 with the original type that Bruce described above.

Most places sell that evil-bay later replacement version for less, so check them first, as they'll be more reliable sources (GPR, Pelican, TC'sGarage, PP, SMC, AA, etc.)
bandjoey
$6.50 on Pelican right now. Fits ok in my car.
I expect - educated guess - they buy from the bird and resale with a jacked up price.
rjames
Didn't work so well in my car. I decided that the original I have that is cracked and missing a bit of plastic on the corner still fit better and looked better than the one being sold now.
VaccaRabite
I have one for my car and it is total crap. It pops out whenever the car even simply drives by a bump in the road. And since I live in PA, the roads are nothing but bumps.... If I knew where my OEM one was, I'd put my old cracked one back in place and round file this crappy new one.

Zach
tod914
Junk. I tried one a number of years ago and it shorted out. Wolfsburgwest makes a repro with a chrome ring that looks closer
to the original. I can't speak for the quality, but it might be worth a shot.
page 58 of their catalog. 111 947 111C. It's a 54-69 interior light for a for a beetle. They also have a variety of grommets and rubber seals that should work with the 914.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
They will if you file the notch lower. On our agenda is to make an exact replacement and samples have been sent. However like many of our other projects they need funding with numbers of sales

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Oct 19 2010, 05:42 PM) *

Do these lights really fit properly in our 914s? My /6 came with a broken original and one which looked like the linked eBay ad. It didn't seem to fit quite right. Am I correct in assuming the current stuff for sale is also not OPC (originality purist correct), maybe the wrong color switch or missing a silver color stripe or something?

Thx,

Skip

Steve
It's pathetic, but I used double sided tape to hold mine in. Just make sure the tape doesn't touch the bulb. Hasn't come out since.
John
Yes, the notch that holds it into the back panel isn't in the same location as the OEM light. I found out after buying a replacement and finding that it would not snap into place.

I re-installed my cracked original. One day, I may go back and make the currently available ones fit my back panel, but it's really low on the priority list.
burton73
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 20 2010, 05:51 AM) *

. Wolfsburgwest makes a repro with a chrome ring that looks closer
page 58 of their catalog. 111 947 111C. It's a 54-69 interior light for a for a beetle. They also have a variety of grommets and rubber seals that should work with the 914.

I had to pay $65. For a used one that still was not 100% but was correct for my 6.

This repo is not cheep but the white on and off switch is somewhat different innless a 40-year-old one is aged and I do not want to go looking for it in my boxes now.

Wolfsburgwest Repo is $29.

Bob B

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 20 2010, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 20 2010, 05:51 AM) *

. Wolfsburgwest makes a repro with a chrome ring that looks closer

I had to pay $65. For a used one that still was not 100% but was correct for my 6.

This repo is not cheep but the white on and off switch is somewhat different innless a 40-year-old one is aged and I do not want to go looking for it in my boxes now.

Wolfsburgwest Repo is $29.

Bob B

Click to view attachment

That one looks very good smile.gif!
Drums66
...All these opinion's are good to know! idea.gif
thanks guys hissyfit.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.