Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to restore a 914-6 oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
This tank has light surface rust inside. I want to restore properly and not damage the baffles inside or remove the copper plating under the black paint on the outside. What should be done? Thanks, Mark
Cairo94507
I would check with a radiator shop to see if boiling it out would properly clean it and what they recommend. I am interested in this too as my tank definitely needs to be restored.
hot_shoe914
BBs and a rotisserie, you will be amazed.
r_towle
properly???
Strip it at a radiator shop by getting it dunked.
Send it to a chrome plating shop and have them replate it with copper, then powder coat it black.

After it gets stripped, have it pressure tested for pinhole leaks.

Rich
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 21 2010, 09:28 AM) *

properly???
Strip it at a radiator shop by getting it dunked.
Send it to a chrome plating shop and have them replate it with copper, then powder coat it black.

After it gets stripped, have it pressure tested for pinhole leaks.

Rich

I imagine the radiator shop can pressure test?

Should I just add some oil inside the tank once it is dunked to keep it from rusting?
shoguneagle
Yep to all the above. Had mine stripped, pressure tested, and then painted. Then never used it.

Steve Hurt
zymurgist
I've seen lots of people posting electrolysis techniques on biker websites for getting the rust out of motorcycle tanks.
IronHillRestorations
I would not put any kind of coating that wasn't truly baked on. I'll 2nd the boiling out at a radiator shop and then give an ospho treatment.
zymurgist
Boiling out sounds good... I'm guessing this works for steel tanks?

I think bikers go with the electrolysis method so they can try to keep the original paint on the tank where possible. Or just maybe because people who ride old bikes are just CSOBs.
mepstein
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Oct 21 2010, 03:19 PM) *

Yep to all the above. Had mine stripped, pressure tested, and then painted. Then never used it.

Steve Hurt

Is it for sale?
shoguneagle
Sent you an e-mail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.