Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct lug nuts (bolts) and center caps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
RFoulds
Just realized, I only have the black lug bolts, and the black plastic center caps, currently on the car with the Riv wheels. When I use the steelies for Concourrs, what will be the correct lug bolts and caps to use?

Any pics of caps will be much appreciated.

JeffBowlsby
These are what you want. Sorry I have no better photo. Last I knew, the center caps were still available new, but that may be out of date info.
Tom_T
I think the lugs are 25 mm (vs 38 mm on alloys) & black as Jeff's pic shows.

Also, look at the nailed Wheels & Tires thread on O&H Forum, as IIRC someone posted a proper stock 73-76 Steelie on there & on a 914.
JeffBowlsby
Voila...
sixerdon
Keep in mind that the steel lug bolts have black plastic caps that slide on them
as shown in the above pic. So that's 3 sets of each item you need.
Don
RFoulds
Thanks everyone. Jeff, that pic is exactly what I needed. I have sourced the bolt caps and center caps through a board sponsor, but I am unsure about the bolt length.

Anyone know for sure??

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 22 2010, 01:26 PM) *

Thanks everyone. Jeff, that pic is exactly what I needed. I have sourced the bolt caps and center caps through a board sponsor, but I am unsure about the bolt length.

Anyone know for sure??

28mm, according to the factory tech specs manual, page 52.

Tom T is correct.
P
914werke
Slap some chrome trim rings on those steelies, looks 100 % better
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 5 2010, 03:05 AM) *

Sorry, couldn't disagree more in regards to the trim rings.

Just take a walk down a concours lawn with 914's all arranged without their trim rings, and its a thing of beauty......

Same goes for a 69 Boss with its Magnum 500's or a GTO or Chevelle with their steel mag wheels. Nothing is prettier than a simple painted wheel with one center hubcap and a painted background uninterrupted by chrome.

ESPECIALLY on a Serious high performance car, where the trim rings just fell off on the road course or the drag strip only to be run over by the next car.

Like the Charger in BULLIT shedding its wheelcovers on the SF streets..........
monkeyboy
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 24 2011, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 5 2010, 03:05 AM) *

Sorry, couldn't disagree more in regards to the trim rings.

Just take a walk down a concours lawn with 914's all arranged without their trim rings, and its a thing of beauty......

Same goes for a 69 Boss with its Magnum 500's or a GTO or Chevelle with their steel mag wheels. Nothing is prettier than a simple painted wheel with one center hubcap and a painted background uninterrupted by chrome.

ESPECIALLY on a Serious high performance car, where the trim rings just fell off on the road course or the drag strip only to be run over by the next car.

Like the Charger in BULLIT shedding its wheelcovers on the SF streets..........

As I remember about 25 wheelcovers fell off during the chase... smile.gif
scotty b
What waa the correct finish on the lugs? I have a drawer full of them ( Beetle and 914 ) that need a good cleaning and re-coating/plating.

Same on the longer alloy lugs. they appear to have been painted silver confused24.gif
davep
The stock bolts were just phospated. The beetle bolts are shorter than the 914 bolts. but can be used on the front. The 914 bolts are longer to have the same thread engagement depth when used on the rear (going through the brake rotor).
The alloy wheel bolts were copper plated, then cadmium plated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.