Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guidance to Thread on Fuel Line Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
Trying to find info about "threading thru" tunnel of flexable fuel line, not ridge SS or copper.
Mike Bellis
The hardest part will be getting it through the grommets. The grommets can handle a 3/8 tube but if you want to install a rubber line in the tunnel (Not Recommended) you will need larger diameter grommets and will have to drill out the fire wall for them. In the front, a large triangle bushing is there. You can drill out the rubber to handle your soft hose.

On my car, I use dead soft aluminum lines with AN fittings. Very easy to install. Never use copper for fuel lines! Copper will crack over time.
ClayPerrine
From Experience...

Do NOT use rubber lines in the tunnel. The cables that run in there can cut a steel line, and rubber won't be tough for them. IF they fail, they will leave you sitting in a gasoline filled car. If you smoke, then I fully expect to see you barbecued.

Don't be stupid... spend the money and buy a set of stainless steel lines from Tangerine Racing. They are cheap compared with the loss of another 914.

An engine fire ruined my wife's 914, and it took years before it ran again. I don't want to see that happen to anyone ever again.

realred914
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ Oct 22 2010, 07:21 AM) *

Trying to find info about "threading thru" tunnel of flexable fuel line, not ridge SS or copper.

if the original line is in place, you could connect the new line with a double barbed fitting or tape and pull itthru using the old line possibly. a fuel proof hard nylon line would be a direct replacement for the stock line, i assume that is what your doing? also there are several acess plates in the tunnel top under the carpet. and the shifter base also comes off for acess to tunnel top. this can be useful. be sure the new line does not get wraped around the clutch or accelerater cables.

have fun

ps when you install the rubber hoses on the ends of the hard lines, and thru the engine bay, be surte to use the latest SAE rated 30R9 hose, NOT the older 30R7 hose, the R9 hose has a inner teflon like liner that resists the new fangled mandated fewul additives being forced on use by a government that rather see your car scrapped out. the new fuels in some areas will rot away standard non-lined hoses and cause leaks. the new hose although more expensive will resist the attack of the new gasolines. all the SAE 30R9 hose will be marked as such along the length, accept no lesser hoses for best results. note teh old 30R7 which used ot be ok for high pressure FI use is no starting to be marked as Un-suitable for FI use. one more indication that the fuels have changed and so hve the rubber hose requirements.
damnfiknow
QUOTE(damnfiknow @ Oct 22 2010, 09:21 AM) *

Thanks everone. Warning is appreciated. Will go for SS
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 22 2010, 07:55 AM) *

From Experience...

Do NOT use rubber lines in the tunnel. The cables that run in there can cut a steel line, and rubber won't be tough for them. IF they fail, they will leave you sitting in a gasoline filled car. If you smoke, then I fully expect to see you barbecued.

Don't be stupid... spend the money and buy a set of stainless steel lines from Tangerine Racing. They are cheap compared with the loss of another 914.

An engine fire ruined my wife's 914, and it took years before it ran again. I don't want to see that happen to anyone ever again.

agree.gif agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.