Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter storage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
So, the Optima battery can't be charged like a normal battery. What are you guys using for a trickle charger/maintaner when storing your car for the winter? The good, the bad. What to get?
StratPlayer
I pull the battery out of the car and bring it inside. Charge it up and put it away for the winter.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 22 2010, 08:14 AM) *

I pull the battery out of the car and bring it inside. Charge it up and put it away for the winter.

agree.gif

I just disconnect mine but removing it works too. It shouldn't get that cold in your garage up here to kill it.
Cupomeat
Please enlighten me!

What happens when you use a battery maintainer on an optima battery?

I used one last winter... Have I done permanent damage? headbang.gif

I know the construct is different, but it is still a lead acid battery, what happens if you trickle charge it?

popcorn[1].gif

realred914
well I have charged Optimas "normally' so I dont see a problem with a nromal charging systems. I have an old battery charger that goes up to maybe 20 amps max with automatic shut off when fully charged. no probelms using it. usually charges at 3 to 10 amps on automatic mode

what problems are associated with charging an Optima that you find?

i have found a good Optima will hold it s charge in most cases (make sure no load is drawing it down, hence disconnection is a good thing) for several months.

so sad the rainy season, fewer 914 on the road.

good luck
race914
I've used a 'regular' battery charger on my optima also. Seemed to work fine and I haven't seen any noticeable side effects.

I agree. I'd like to know what the advertised problem is charging Optimas with a 'normal' charger.

WTF.gif

Somebody Spill
iamchappy
I use a Battery Minder on mine...
jt914-6
I've got the NAPA version of the Optima....have used a "Battery Tender" on if for several years. It keeps it fully charged when I'm not driving the car. The car has a bedroom called a garage while not in use. I've had great luck with the battery tender Plus. It comes with a harness that stays on the battery and I just plug in the tender and charge..... Also have used the battery tender Jr. on the lawn tractor for the last three years and haven't had to buy a battery since I've started using it for that. I keep it plugged in all the time. Maybe this will help explain some things..... http://batterytender.com/resources/why-batterytender.htm
championgt1
From Optimas website.

OPTIMA RedTop Charging Information
The following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life - always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.

RedTop Type: 34 & 34R - 34/78 - 78 - 25 & 35 - 75/25
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:
Alternator:

■13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.
Battery Charger:

■13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.
Rapid Recharge:

■Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated), no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.
Float Charge:

■13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

All limits must be strictly adhered to.
Safety Information:

■Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.
■Always use a voltage regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.
■Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity.

black73
Hot Rod magazine had an article about this...

Of course, you can avoid all these headaches with deep discharge and parasitic loads in the first place simply by using a float charger. Also known as battery tenders, these units deliver a small (500 to 800 milliamperes) but constant charge to the battery, keeping it fresh and fully charged. Just connect the float charger to a wall socket and to your battery when your car is not in use and you're good to go. We've seen basic versions of these chargers on sale for as little as 10 bucks-which is the deal of the century, especially when compared with the hundreds of bucks you'll pay to replace a dead AGM battery. As an added bonus, you'll know that whenever you want to drive your rod, the battery will be ready and waiting.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general...tery/index.html
underthetire
I just get a Harbor freight float charger, they are usually on sale for about 8 bucks. Have them on the dirt bikes as well. No issues ever with them. Output is 13.5 volts with a 500MA charge. Perfect for maintenance, and at 8 bucks each, you can buy one for each toy.
ConeDodger
I bought a CTek battery tender and connector ends for all of the batteries except the 4Runner. It charges at a constant very low amperage. I have heard though, that the Optima battery can simply be disconnected and it will not discharge over long periods.
Tom
Also from the Optima site under storage;

Battery Storage
Because of the high purity lead grid in the OPTIMA battery, it has a self-discharge rate much lower than conventional flat-plate batteries. This means the OPTIMA can sit for longer periods retaining enough charge to start your vehicle. Depending on storage temperature, the OPTIMA can usually sit for 8 to 12 months and start most vehicles.

When possible, store your battery in a cool, dry location. Check the battery voltage every 6 months and charge if it falls below 12.6 volts.

Remember, newer vehicles with on-board electronics such as computers, LCD screens, game systems, GPS units, clocks, etc., require battery power to retain system memory while the vehicle is parked. If the vehicle is to be stored for long periods you should use a maintenance charger to compensate for this drain. This charger should be voltage regulated between 13.2 - 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum. On older vehicles, without electronics, disconnect the battery cables when the vehicle is not being used for extended periods.

Mine is 4 years old. I disconnect it every year about this time and charge it a couple of times before spring at low amp rate for a few hours just to make sure it stays fully charged. So far no ill effects.
Tom
computers4kids
I drive my teener year round so need to pack it away. Weather never gets that bad here in cow country. first.gif
Bartlett 914
I would only like to add that I have an "Orbital" battery from NAPA. It is similar to the optima. It stated on the battery to never exceed 14.4 volts. Battery charger that have a "boost" or other higher current settings will output a higher voltage. Ohms law! You cannot just insert more amps alone. My Orbital died and I currently am using lead acid. I have had sever Orbital and Optima ones die. I think it was due to deep cycling. This will kill them.
Mikey914
I'd probably leave it in the car disconnected, and just run it once a month for about 20 min. That way yours keeping your engine seals lubricated too!
But I'm just cheap.
smg914
I've been using Schumacher battery maintainers on my Optima batteries for about 10 years with excellent results. It helped keep the Optima battery in my 914-6 race car fully charged of the 6 years I had that car. Great for those long periods between races. Also, I always keep a Schumacher attached to all my street 914's, the Lotus Europa and a GT3 RS that I'm responsible for.

The battery maintainer is perfect for a new or good fully charged Optima battery. The problem is if and when the Optima battery gets too weak or drained. At this point the 1 amp battery maintainer will not bring the Optima back to life. So as long as your Optima battery is in good working fully charged condition, the battery maintainer will help keep it that way and possibly help extend its life span.
Drums66
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 23 2010, 07:05 AM) *

I just get a Harbor freight float charger, they are usually on sale for about 8 bucks. Have them on the dirt bikes as well. No issues ever with them. Output is 13.5 volts with a 500MA charge. Perfect for maintenance, and at 8 bucks each, you can buy one for each toy.

Sounds like the kind! poke.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.