Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Different Oil Cooling System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
OK, so my car has a 3.0 with Webers. It has what to me appears to be a rather unusual oil cooling system:

Click to view attachment

Has anyone ever seen something like this? I have a thermostat installed beck near the engine and then this copper pipe running to the front along the passenger side long and looping back to the engine. I guess it worked.

Thanks.
Dr Evil
Looks like a facsimile of the trombone cooler used on the early 911s. You could put some cooling fins from a hot water heating system on the pipes and get even more cooling.
Krieger
Looks like Joe the Plumber owned that car! Does it work? Does it leak? If it works on a hot day leave it. Copper is an excellent conductor or heat. Car has a bumper to cover it?
Cairo94507
According to the PO, it did not overheat, it does not appear any of the copper leaks. Yes; I have a bumper and valance but removed them to swap out the aftermarket air dam for a stock valance and have the under side of the car cleaned.
McMark
Keep an eye on the rubber/copper transitions and mounting brackets. Vibration can cause problems with copper work hardening and cracking. Otherwise, drive it!
Cairo94507
Thanks; that is exactly what I plan on doing. Brakes, fuel, oil leaks and then drive. My goal is spring.
carr914
If you used a F/G Front Bumper, you could do some custom venting. The Trombone coolers were in a wheel-well, so they got air-flow.

I think the system could work very-well. Is is copper pipe all the way back to the motor?
Mark Henry
Is it copper or brass? the 90's look heavier than normal.... but it could just be the pic?
Cairo94507
It is copper all the way back to the engine. I plan to drive it to see how it works.
pete-stevers
looks like it might be an easy change to a coil if need be,
but if those lines are solid you might want to consider flex lines to take the stress off the copper lines at places
copper gets work hardened and can let go
i have copper lines in my car but just up the longs
stownsen914
Is there any rubber hose between the engine and the copper pipe? If not, it is just a matter of time before they break, due to the engine movement relative to the chassis. If there are rubber lines in there somewhere to absorb the movement, then it will probably be OK at least for a while.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.