Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repacking CV joints and replacing rear wheel beari
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
I can't find a tech article on the replacing of rear wheel bearings and re packing of CV joints. Does anyone know of a tech article of the same. I replaced the front wheel bearings and while the 914 is up on stands, I might as well complete the project.
Thanks,
L. McChesney
Bleyseng
PP has a tech article on the rear bearings install. To remove you need a BFH to get them out. smash.gif

Check the Haynes manual for anything on the CV joints, it pretty simple but very messy.

Geoff
lmcchesney
Thanks Geoff,
Dave clued me into the PP tech article listed under 5 lug conversion. Got the engine bay empty and a set of bearings arround. Might as well.
Oh, by the way. I understand those SS brackets makes the car go faster biggrin.gif
As always,
Thanks,
L. McChesney
Bleyseng
Yep, went in after work today and I noticed atleast 10 more hp!!! wow, its amazing! Now I'll have to add a side decal from MikeZ and get another 20hp from that. Man, I am into Jake territory now!!! Time to race !

Geoff rocking nana.gif
lmcchesney
OOOhhhh. Don't get me started.
L. McChesney
415PB
I just did this two weeks ago. I pounded with the BFH I could get my hands on for like two hours. I went borrowed my friends 5lb slide hammer and the hubs came with no more than two slides. Needless to say, I am purchasing a slide hammer.
Jeffs9146
I just finished assembling my trailing arms and I experienced a small problem with the edge of the hub when pulling it through the bearing on one side. It seems that the lip of the hub was catching on the bearing and wouldn't let it slide in strait. So, I took a small dremmel and smoothed out the lip of the hub and it slid in like butter!

The moral of the story is (if it don't look right....don't force it!)

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Custom hitech tools needed!! wink.gif

Jeff
Jeffs9146
More tools!

Jeff
maxwelj
After you get done, how do you insure that the "Hats" are on straight? The first time I tried, I tightened down the little beveled screws and the disc bound on the caliper (W/o pads, even!) I then just spun and tightened, spun and tightened until I had clearance. Is that the proper way?
Jeffs9146
I put the drive shaft through and tighten it untill it seats properly then you put the rotors on! If you try to put the rotors on before properly seating the hubs then they will not line up with the calipers!

Jeff
415PB
Jeff, that looks very clean. Good job!
Jeffs9146
Jeff, that looks very clean. Good job!

Thanks! It is a long slow process but it is very rewarding to look at!!

I wish I could drive it! headbang.gif

Soon Grasshopper!! beerchug.gif

Jeff
lmcchesney
Thanks all,
Will have to put the beast back on jack stands and get started. Might as well attack the proportioning valve at the same time.
L McChesney
neo914-6
I just finished assembling my trailing arms

Jeff,

I just got this setup and was wondering what calipers you are using and where you got them. If they are as tight as the seller says I will just POR15 the arms and install them.

914 trailing arms with 5 lug 911 hubs, bigger driveshafts and cv joints. Perfect for v8 or race application. You will need to get the  later, larger 901 transmission hubs or change the inner cv to stock 914 to make this work. Wheel hubs are not  redrilled 914 hubs. All cvs and wheel bearing are tight and boots are good.

Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.