Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: outer rear brake adjuster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dem
Got some shiny remanufactured calipers from Eric, all going well up until the outer adjustment. Inner went fine - popped in my old adjuster gears and I was able to turn them until the pad rubbed my feeler gauge, then backed off.

The outers both behave puzzlingly - the instructions are explicit to only turn them counter clockwise to move the pad inward.. so.. I have.

Nothing seems to happen on either caliper.. unless I'm supposed to do hundreds of revolutions, which seems counterintuitive.

Anyone have an idea? I'll call Eric on Monday if required, but I'd like to get things bolted back together.

Thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
unscrewing it moves the piston in. If it does not work after a couple of tries, the piston has become disengaged from the adjuster and will need to be held into the bore until the screw grabs it again.
QUOTE(dem @ Oct 23 2010, 03:39 PM) *

Got some shiny remanufactured calipers from Eric, all going well up until the outer adjustment. Inner went fine - popped in my old adjuster gears and I was able to turn them until the pad rubbed my feeler gauge, then backed off.

The outers both behave puzzlingly - the instructions are explicit to only turn them counter clockwise to move the pad inward.. so.. I have.

Nothing seems to happen on either caliper.. unless I'm supposed to do hundreds of revolutions, which seems counterintuitive.

Anyone have an idea? I'll call Eric on Monday if required, but I'd like to get things bolted back together.

Thanks.

Eric_Shea
For others reading... the adjustment process always seems to be a point of confusion:

Both adjuster screws are right hand threaded. The outer adjuster is a direct action with the piston and internal mechanism so... righty/tighty, lefty/loosey works here. Turn it clockwise and you pull the piston into the caliper as you would suspect.

Here's where it gets interesting: Because of the handbrake armature (it's in the way of a direct drive), the inner adjuster is "gear driven". This makes the action exactly opposite of the outer adjuster. Turn the inner adjuster clockwise and it will adjust the piston out.

If you can remember "ah... the inner is gear driven" hopefully it will help you to remember which way to turn the adjuster.

I spoke with Dennis over the weekend and we had some stuck adjusters on the outer side. The internal mechanism was spinning. This happens sometimes with fresh rebuilds. The best remedy is a short burst with an "air wrench". Air ramps up immediately and the velocity will win over the mass of the adjuster mechanism.

It also helpfull to get fluid in the calipers first so the fluid can help lubricate the adjuster posts. Dennis did all the right things... he just couldn't free them up.

Thanks for the explaination George. Dennis had the opposite problem where his pistons were all the way in and couldn't adjust out. Correct though... if they come out too far, they can come off the adjusters. If that happens, put your thumb on it and press while you crank the piston back onto the adjuster and into the bore. In fact... always try to use thumb pressure when pulling pistons back into the bore if you can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.