Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift linkage woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timofly
Rebushed the shift linkage and all was well until I started reassembling. The aft tapered screw went it fine, left it a bit loose to get the one at the firewall in. Started that one in finger tight and it seemed OK, but then got real hard to turn. Backed it out and checked alignment, restarted. Seemd to go OK, so I started with the wrench and then saw shavings etc. etc. End of story, the coupler threads are stripped so the tapered screw will not tighten down. AA has a "set screw repair insert" that looks like what I need, but does anyone have experience with this insert? Does it work? Do I have to ream and run a tap into the coupler?

Ugh.
pcar916
Haven't used AA's solution but a Timesert would work. There are other industrial solutions as well. But a good welder can fill and re-tap it too.

Good luck
timofly
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Oct 24 2010, 01:54 PM) *

Haven't used AA's solution but a Timesert would work. There are other industrial solutions as well. But a good welder can fill and re-tap it too.

Good luck

Thanks. I am going to give it a try next weekend.
Eric_Shea
Which part do you need?

I'm installing a Rennshift Level III linkage in my 74 tub and I might have what you need.
timofly
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 24 2010, 08:52 PM) *

Which part do you need?

I'm installing a Rennshift Level III linkage in my 74 tub and I might have what you need.

Eric,

The rear shift link coupler, just behind the firewall on a side shifter.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.